totally loving riding the trans american

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Moved a bit since then....in Charlottesville Virginia

HovR

Über Member
When I was in America a few weeks ago (no bike) I pulled over at a rest stop 30 miles from anywhere (Eastern OR), and three cyclists pulled in. They were riding the Trans-Am also, two of them from England. In the 95+ F heat they'd run out of water, miles from the nearest water source. Luckily I had a large container of water with me, and they all got their bottles filled up.

Stay safe and enjoy the tour, I'd love to do it some time!

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

When I was in America a few weeks ago (no bike) I pulled over at a rest stop 30 miles from anywhere (Eastern OR), and three cyclists pulled in. They were riding the Trans-Am also, two of them from England. In the 95+ F heat they'd run out of water, miles from the nearest water source. Luckily I had a large container of water with me, and they all got their bottles filled up.

Stay safe and enjoy the tour, I'd love to do it some time!

Was the third one an Australian girl...the two guys being James and George by any chance?

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

bigona
is it easy riding or is it hilly like in the uk ?

....well I've done all the mountains..Rockies, Ozarks, appalations...blue ridge..

If u r referring to.the entire transam then is say its hillier than the UK...except for Kansas which is flattr than.holland...but way to hot and windy.

Here in Virginia it is hilly...well the bit along the blue ridge mountains anyway...the climb at vesuvuous was fun but im pleased I got it later in the ride as it is steep.

The climbs out west are much longer but the grades are less fierce as the roads tend to folliw rivers and natural passes in the mountains...the Ozarks and appalations simply take the route a crow would fly..a straight line straight up for the mostpart.

The hills are all doable...the highest point on the ride so far was 11565feet at Hoosier pass Colorado.
The heat has been.a constant 'companion'...and here in.virginia the humidity is very high as well.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Still loving it? :whistle:

Totally..if I could afford it I would ride back across...!

This really is the ride of my life...best thing I ever did...on two wheels...

Apart from.this one time...but that is another story lol!

HovR

Über Member
Was the third one an Australian girl...the two guys being James and George by any chance?

I can't remember, but it was definitely 2 guys and a gal, she wasn't English - For some reason Holland rings a bell? Could be completely wrong though. She was riding a black flat barred bike with an internal gear hub and hydro rim brakes, the other two guys were on drop barred bikes.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

The guys were on surley long haul trucker bikes....one had a beard...the other was smaller...shevwas short dark hair ...one of the guys had orange panniers....if it was them they all set out ondependantly and met on the ride.

Good of you to stop and water them....I know what its like to de hydrdte in serious heat...can be dangerous.

Top Bottom