Touching up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...I discovered an area on my fork which has a chip in the paintwork down to the steel:sad: I need to do whatever is needed to stop the rust ....so what's the drill?:biggrin:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I used Humbrol/Revell enamel paint on my frame, available at most model shops for about a quid. You should be able to colour match pretty well. Apply 2-3 coats with a small brush and finish off with a touch of clear coat or lacquer.

P.H

Über Member
Some finishes, particulaly matalic ones are almost impossible to touch up without it looking worse then the chip/scratch.
I leave mine looking like honest signs of use, but dab some clear nail varnish on to protect the steel from the elements.

Mr Pig

I would get it painted, even if you just touch it up. Once rust gets a hold it'll spread under the surrounding paint and make a right mess. Make sure there's no rust, lick of primer and then paint.

Mr Pig

Another thing you can do is buy a spray can. That way you can spray the paint on or spray some into the lid and brush it on. Small cans cost about a quid.

Chris James

Über Member
Humbrol type stuff is fine. Just make sure you get down to base metal and remove all trace of rust before painting.

monnet

Guru
Humbrol's fine (or car spray, spra into the cap stir a bit to thicken it up and apply with a brush). Supporting the cleaning view - a wipe over with meths will help clean things out properly.

Top Bottom