Tough 20" tires?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jorgemartin

Hello, is there anything similar to a Schwalbe Marathon XR in for 20 inch tires? Something for heavy loaded touring with the occasional dirt road? Anyone using their recumbents for off-road?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
My marathon plus 20" has been off road, under water, over beaches, through Deptford even, and still stays up. Any use?

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

I've used the narrow marathon pluses before. They're incredibly tough but don't love them for off road, perhaps using the wider version makes a difference?

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

Hmmm, yes, but which ones are good? There are lots of reviews and information about other tires but BMX tires are shrouded in mystery...
If you have the rim width and clearance the choice is pretty huge in 20" tyres due to the BMX dirt/street scene.

markg0vbr

Über Member
in September a trike specific tyre is being lunched i don't know what makes it trike specific.
narrow fast tyres on the front and a slightly bigger tyre with a bit of tread on the back work for me, i have some bmx for the back when the weather gets bad, with snow ect but keep the slicks on the front all year.

zoxed

Über Member
in September a trike specific tyre is being lunched i don't know what makes it trike specific...

Who is launching this ?
A trike specific tyre could be a more square cross-section, like a car tyre. Not sure what the advantages are: could be more lateral grip ? But limited use on a Kett's canted wheels !!

markg0vbr

Über Member
i was told they would not be more square as this would increase rolling resistance, i am still trying to get a spec but will probably have to wait until September.
lateral grip and durability might be good, as there are more trikes on the road we might see a bit of development, as the market is slowly growing, or some one might just slap trike tyre on the side of one they already make :whistle:
i am quite hard on tyres, big apple did not last long and kendra were as bad, i use the minimum toe in i can, lots of high speed tight bends and heavy loads, about 150 to 200 miles a week.
i am on 28-406 schwalbe durano on all three wheels now at 100psi a very smooth ride, far better than a lot of fatter tyres i have tried and fast, so far lasting well. well worth £12.50 a tyre!:biggrin:

henshaw11

Hmmm...pity I didn't spot this thread before, I hadn't noticed the Supremes...after a visitation earlier today (a ruddy great lump of flint in my front) I've just ordered a folding Marathon Racer from SJS (for about the price of the wired version), in case the current one gets worse...

Ah well, the other cuts I've noticed after a bit more careful inspection haven't gone all the way through, and that's a few summer's worth of commutes.

Cullin

Über Member
On Tuesday morning I phoned The ICE Team and ordered 3 Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, They arrived by 9:00AM Wednesday, I have fitted them with no trouble. I am now waiting for the stormy rain to stop so I can go out to play.
I have read on other forums that people were having problems trying to fit them.
Some broke their Tyre levers in the process... I put them on by hand... not wanting to preach to the knowledgeable, but.
I first rubbed a bit of washing up liquid on the tyre beading and also on the inside of the wheel rim, then placing the wheel onto the tyre so that the tyre bead was in the centre well of the wheel, this gave me the extra couple of mil to slip the rest of the tyre on, I then gave the tube a couple of pumps and carefully place it into the tyre so there were no twists.
Same procedure for the outer bead, I think were others have gone wrong is in not putting the bead into the centre of the wheel well.
When the tyre is fully pumped up, you find that the washing liquid allows the tyre bead to properly slide into place on the edge of the wheel rim, not causing the bulge in parts of the tyre.
Due to the slight size increase in the tyre size, I did have to adjust the front mudguards (Ice Q).
Don't forget if you have a trip computer, you may have to recalibrate it's tyre measurements, it could be a couple of centimeters.
I hope this helps.
Bill.

PaulM

Guru
I'm not sure the detergent is a good idea, doesn't it cause corrosion? I recall recommendations to use chalk dust if necessary to get the last part of the tyre onto a rim,

3tyretrackterry

Cullin
you are back
how are you and your wife
if u look on thread east mids ride in forum ride section there is a few of the Nottingham crew coming over to Loughboro for a ride on Sunday you would be welcome to join in and be the other trike
or text/call me

Top Bottom