Tough measures taken at the TdU

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
<
Tour Down Under organisers have taken an unprecedented step in throwing Italian Elia Rigotto (Team Milram) off the tour after an altercation - that officials have described as "very vicious" - which left Australia's Mathew Hayman (Rabobank) with a fractured left collarbone. While riders have been excluded from stages in the past nine editions, Rigotto is the first rider to ever be disqualified from the entire race. >

It's about time some of the riders who get 'overly excited' during the sprints are punished in this way. A broken collarbone is no joke as can be seen from the photo's of Hayman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/jan08/tdu08/index.php?id=/photos/2008/jan08/tdu08/tdu084/MG17

longers

Legendary Member
Here is a clip of what happened. Very near to the start of the clip. Rider in blue. Looks like it was deliberate to me ;).

Looked completely deliberate and unnecessary to me. Rigotto had a clear path through, if overtaking had been his intention. Spoiled the best stage so far - I was glad Matt Hayman going down didn't bring half the bunch down with him.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Elia Rigotto now says that the headbutt was not deliberate and he lost his balance, seems to me he will need to be careful in the future that he doesn't 'lose his balance' when there is a car or truck around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rustychisel

Yeah, looked well deliberate to me... I was there but didn't actually see it 'til later. Liggett and co have characterised it as "a moment of madness" which seems about right. Sending him home might be the least of his troubles [when the DS and other riders have had their say].

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
agree with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom