Tour de Conamara !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never cycled down there but I had relatives living there for a while and visited often, its a great area :smile:

lanternerouge

Veteran
Hi folks

We went over and did this! I was lucky enough to win a competition online for 4 sportive entries, free accommodation and kit! ^_^
Well, what an amazing experience. Here is the review I posted on cyclosport.org:

This Years Event Ratings

Rated Event: 97.8%
lanternerouge wrote:
We came over from the UK having won entry in a competition. However having done it we would have gladly paid the extra costs the prize included. Having taken part in quite a few UK sportives I can safely say this blew them all right out of the water.

To comment on the categories that Cyclosport has us rate:

1) Feed stops. These were excellent. Well thought out and spaced at sensible intervals. Best of all though they featured a seemingly endless supply of sandwiches, cakes, teas and coffees and water.

2) The event wasn't timed but most people who are bothered use Strava anyway.

3) Signage was very rarely needed due to the army of friendly (and hardy) volunteers - see point

4) Very well thought out facilities. I think riders were able to sign on in Galway (an hour away) on the Friday and in Clifden where the event was based too. Showers were provided although we were staying at the Station House Hotel in Clifden so no need.

5) The marshalling was outstanding as we were directed round large potholes and one poor fallen rider. Despite being out in the middle if nowhere for large parts of the event you always felt looked after due to event motorbikes whizzing up and down and so on. One guy who had a mechanical was provided with a replacement bike to let him finish, and others had help with punctures. Excellent!

6) Just an incredibly friendly welcome, not just from event staff but hotel staff, local people etc - everyone seemed right behind the event. So refreshing! People saying "well done" can make a real difference on a long tough ride!

7) Website is very good.

8) The course - simply the most spectacular place I have ever cycled. Driving over the day before and back the day after the weather was sunny and it is an incredibly beautiful area with lakes, mountains and a new view around every corner. Wild and windswept without ever being too bleak. Unfortunately the rain descended on the day of the event but (in my view anyway) it just served to make the day more epic. I would say it was a sensible course. No crazy hills for the sake of it but still a real challenge on varied terrain including a nasty drag right at the end of the 140k course.

9) I would definitely recommend the Tour de Conamara to anyone, especially if you want to go somewhere where people have genuine enthusiasm for the event and seem really pleased to have you there. It had an old school feel in many ways. The organiser, Mark O'Connell, must never sleep. There was a Sportive Time Trial the next day down the road in Carna where the little village was all reassembled. In addition TdC put on a Funathlon and a ride for kids. There was even a puppeteer! Event kit was very nice and many had Gilets with their entries.

We got the ferry from Holyhead and drove a minivan out there. Totally inspiring trip and an antidote do the profit-centric UK sportive scene! Congratulations Mark and all involved, you should be very proud of yourselves. :smile:

Pictures added too :smile: LE BLAIREAU.jpg tdc food station.jpg tdc funathlon.jpg tdc numbers.jpg tdc sandwiches.jpg tdc start finish line.jpg tdc start.jpg Clifden.jpg IMG_0054.JPG

Attachments

• tdc ttt.jpg
    tdc ttt.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom