Tour de France 2019 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Chapeau Bernal ! Well so much for Sky/Ineos not controlling the race 1,2 on the podium ain't to bad.
Great ride by Allaphillipe though,far better ride than I ever thought he could do.Future winner ? Not sure myself,so near yet so far for the French still.
1,2,3 on the podium and not a stage win between them.Can you win a grand tour by being a "all out racer" or do you have to play the long game.

hoopdriver

Guru
Alaphilippe didn't win, and indeed may never win, but his name will forever be written all over the 2019 Tour de France. In a very significant and deeply emotional way this will always be remembered as his race. One of the few occasions where the guy who didn't win - came fifth in this case - will be remembered alongside the guy who did.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Alaphilippe didn't win, and indeed may never win, but his name will forever be written all over the 2019 Tour de France. In a very significant and deeply emotional way this will always be remembered as his race. One of the few occasions where the guy who didn't win - came fifth in this case - will be remembered alongside the guy who did.
I couldn't agree more, in a way he won more than the race itself !

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
1,2,3 on the podium and not a stage win between them.Can you win a grand tour by being a "all out racer" or do you have to play the long game.
Stage racing is designed to find the most consistent rider over the whole race, not ones who can win one stage and finish nowhere in others, though it does add to it if the winner can take a stage too. I would agree with Colin J, I am sure Thomas will have a crack at the Vuelta this year.

Adam4868

Guru
Stage racing is designed to find the most consistent rider over the whole race, not ones who can win one stage and finish nowhere in others, though it does add to it if the winner can take a stage too. I would agree with Colin J, I am sure Thomas will have a crack at the Vuelta this year.
Yes thanks I know how a grand tour is won.I was meaning it would of been nice and good for the tour if Allaphillipe won it.He was great to watch but at the end of the day tactics won the tour.As well as having two riders (Thomas/Bernal) who were capable on their own.
As I said above 1,2,3 on the podium never won a stage.Youve got to be tactically adept.I heard Thomas saying he fancied having a go at Nibali today,felt good but he thought it would help others and jepordise his 2nd place.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
I just wonder if the Tour directors will make such a "hilly" course next year. Now that they see what Alaphilippe is capable of, maybe a flatter over-all course would play to his strengths? Mind you, he was a demon descender!
Not so much the mountains maybe the altitude of them.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Alaphillipe may have won it this year if he'd thought he could win it before getting the jersey.
Even after a few days in yellow he clearly didn't really believe, or he wouldn't have been leading out Viviani.
I wouldn't rule it out but I suspect this was his best chance of winning with no Frrome, Dumoulin and une année sans by some of the GC leaders.
Porte, Martin, Aru, Nibali, Mas, Landa, Quintana, Bardet all had a poor tour for a variety of reasons.
Bernal will get better, Thomas has got another year or two if he stays off the piss and doesn't crash in the T de Suisse. Pinot may get through the whole 21 days.
It'll be interesting if JA changes strategy to train specifically or bottles it like Barguil did.

Adam4868

Guru
Barring the TT and shipping a bit of time I never once saw Bernal in any sort of trouble.I think it was Geraints tour but as soon as they felt it might not be a certainty bang ! Like Rich says I was never in any doubt he'd take that stage and more time.
In fact I was never in any doubt he'd win the tour.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To win, JA'd need to train differently and join a team that could support him with heavy duty climbing domestiques. It would be a hell of a gamble which would threaten to rob him of his pre eminence in the shorter races and make him a less exciting rider to watch, a gamble that would be far from certain to pay off. It would be a hell of a risk.

He may decide just to be good at what he's good at. And he's the best there is at that.

Top Bottom