Tour de France Dream Team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
After the comments on David Millar's rest day feature, I thought there was going to be quite a bit of interest in this. However, I don't believe anyone's started a thread, which probably means it's an extremely bad idea. I'll take that risk.

Here's my list. My objective is to win all the jersey competitions and most of the stages.

Gerrie Knetemann
Cyrille Guimard
Eddy Merckx
Felice Gimondi
José Manuel Fuente
Cadel Evans
Freddy Maertens
Francesco Moser
Tom Simpson

After the comments on David Millar's rest day feature, I thought there was going to be quite a bit of interest in this. However, I don't believe anyone's started a thread, which probably means it's an extremely bad idea. I'll take that risk.

Here's my list. My objective is to win all the jersey competitions and most of the stages.

Gerrie Knetemann
Cyrille Guimard
Eddy Merckx
Felice Gimondi
José Manuel Fuente
Cadel Evans
Freddy Maertens
Francesco Moser
Tom Simpson
I said I would look at naming mine at the weekend and then forgot, so I'll get onto it now.

I have (mostly) opted for riders I remember seeing when I first watched Ch4 coverage, as I'm a nostalgic old nobber:

Robert Millar
Pedro Delgado
Jan Ullrich
Djamolidine Abdoujaparov
Laurent Fignon
Sean Kelly
Greg Lemond
Fabio Parra
Mark Cavendish

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have (mostly) opted for riders I remember seeing when I first watched Ch4 coverage, as I'm a nostalgic old nobber:

Robert Millar
Pedro Delgado
Jan Ullrich
Djamolidine Abdoujaparov
Laurent Fignon
Sean Kelly
Greg Lemond
Fabio Parra
Mark Cavendish
I kind of assumed that you'd avoid dopers...

I kind of assumed that you'd avoid dopers...
No point.

I couldnae just have a team of Sandy Casar...
:becool:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
An interesting idea, but to have a "team" there have, as Eric Cantona would describe them, to be some "water carriers" in there, and there has to be a clear team leader that they are working for. I would argue that Cavendish had virtually the perfect sprinter's team working for him when he was at HTC Columbia, and you could argue that the current/recent Team Sky line-ups have been close to perfection when you see how they have been delivering TdF GC winners at will.

Without naming a clear top dog in the team we'd all end up just naming the people at the top of all the honours lists and creating dog-eat-dog "teams" where they'd all be trying to outdo each other all the time. Nightmare teams.

Geraint Thomas has been the ultimate support rider, so would have to be in my team. Cav would be my rather obvious sprinter choice, with Renshaw in there as his lead-out man. It's a shame that the reputations of some of the people who first inspired me to get into cycling have been tarnished by subsequent revelations. Otherwise I would definitely have included Pantani as my climber. Being a perennial supporter of underdogs I also used to rather like Andy Schleck from little Luxembourg.

An interesting idea, but to have a "team" there have, as Eric Cantona would describe them, to be some "water carriers" in there, and there has to be a clear team leader that they are working for. I would argue that Cavendish had virtually the perfect sprinter's team working for him when he was at HTC Columbia, and you could argue that the current/recent Team Sky line-ups have been close to perfection when you see how they have been delivering TdF GC winners at will.

Without naming a clear top dog in the team we'd all end up just naming the people at the top of all the honours lists and creating dog-eat-dog "teams" where they'd all be trying to outdo each other all the time. Nightmare teams.

Geraint Thomas has been the ultimate support rider, so would have to be in my team. Cav would be my rather obvious sprinter choice, with Renshaw in there as his lead-out man. It's a shame that the reputations of some of the people who first inspired me to get into cycling have been tarnished by subsequent revelations. Otherwise I would definitely have included Pantani as my climber. Being a perennial supporter of underdogs I also used to rather like Andy Schleck from little Luxembourg.
It's a bit of fun.

Away and name 9 riders...

Top Bottom