Tour de France - Stage 18 - SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glover Fan

I was listening to Talksport earlier as I usually do, but some French sports journalist was on with Danny Kelly and they were talking a lot about the tour.

The French guy reckoned this tour was so good because the UCI have got the doping procedures spot on and that it is now really hard to dope yourself without being caught so for the first time in ages you are seeing people actually struggling and being dare I say it "human". Who'd have thought Contador would be dropped on the Galibier after wheelsucking most of the way up?

I've only been watching the Tour for the last few years, but I think maybe (and hope) that journalist was right. He was actually saying that in general cycling is lightyears ahead of other sports when it comes to anti-doping and the 24/7 365 days of the year blood monitoring that is done. Sad that it has got that far but at least it will make the sport cleaner and fairer.

No doubt now i've opened the can i'll wake up to headlines that Voeckler and Cavendish have been banned for drug use.:rolleyes:

tigger

Über Member
Ah well, my hope for the 2 Amigos blowing away the Lacklustre Luxenbourgers didn't even get off the ground! What a shame none of the GD contenders got together earlier. Still, a great tactics by Leopard Trek and a great ride by Andy. But I still can't warm to him

I'm rooting for the bland wheel sucker and TV now!!!!

"Whinge, whinge, its not fair... no one wants to see dare-devil dangerous decending decide the tour." No Andy, we want to see the most complete rider win the tour... not someone who can't sprint, can't decend and can't TT.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
:laugh: Gary Imlach couldn't keep his face straight trailing the darts after that stage. Chris Boardman was sniggering, too.
I noticed that :laugh:. They made some comment about excitement levels iirc.

Willo

Quality today, chapeau to Andy Schlek for going that early and keeping out there, on his own for much of it. Voeckler was heroic in keeping yellow and a fair old pull from Evans. I wouldn't mind seeing AS or CE win it now, but no-one could deny the former as a worthy winner after that today, simply awesome.

No doubt a lot of you read this. Voeckler didn't even ride the week before the Tour, nor did he recce a lot of the stages.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voeckler-to-reconsider-tour-de-france-approach

I just looked back over his TT times. They're abysmal. Mind you, if he is riding for a reason, who knows but he was in the region of 5-10 minutes down on the winner, depending on stage length.

On the same note, I wonder if brother bland the younger (with acknowledgment to Baggy for that tag) has done enough today. A rolling 40K TT course might only see him lose a minute to Evans, maybe less, especially if Evans has to extend himself again tomorrow. I reckon Evans should pray for bad weather at the ITT.

aberal

Guru
The TDF official website is currently showing podium places as 1. Andy Schleck. 2. Frank Schleck. 3. Cadel Evans. No Thomas.

Makes sense...

Top Bottom