Tour de France transponders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
What happens if a cyclist changes bike, mid race, and doesn't swap the transponder, where does all the data go?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
i would guess they just enter the id of the new bike into the timing systems - never seen a transponder swapped over though.

si_c

Guru
From what I understand they revert to a manual time for that rider - this is why they have the marshals and the cameras at the finish line and sprints as the transponders are not granular enough for close riders anyway.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
From what I understand they revert to a manual time for that rider - this is why they have the marshals and the cameras at the finish line and sprints as the transponders are not granular enough for close riders anyway.
Yes - I have seen results incorrectly giving a rider a DNF even though we saw them cross the line in the main bunch. The results get amended once they have been checked.

I think they showed that the results aren't finalised until they have sorted out all of the bike swaps.
As a result it's no quicker now than it was 20 years ago.

It'll be sorted when all the riders are chipped. 😊

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
In other questions, when Froome started running up the mountain a few years ago, could he cross the line and finish the stage without a bike?

In other questions, when Froome started running up the mountain a few years ago, could he cross the line and finish the stage without a bike?

I believe not as there is a UCI rule which stipulates they must cross the finish on a bike. There was lots of chatter when Froome did the running.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
As a sort-of-related aside, on a hot climb the other day (with shirts open and blowing in the breeze) my wife asked if any riders wear standard shorts anymore (as opposed to bib shorts). I reckoned that due to having to carry the team comms radio in that funny pocket on the back of the bib shorts, it's probably not even an option. Anyone know?

si_c

Guru
As a sort-of-related aside, on a hot climb the other day (with shirts open and blowing in the breeze) my wife asked if any riders wear standard shorts anymore (as opposed to bib shorts). I reckoned that due to having to carry the team comms radio in that funny pocket on the back of the bib shorts, it's probably not even an option. Anyone know?
I think for most people, Bibs are just that bit more comfortable. A lot of them are wearing full body skinsuits some of the time now anyway.

SWSteve

Guru

the last time I didn’t wear bibs I was in a tie-suit and before that there would be about 5 years before they weren’t bibs. I would guess everyone who rides professionally would just swap tri-suit for skin suit and give the same answer.

PK99

Legendary Member
Oblique reference... a nephew works for F1 looking after the software/in-car transponders/trackside electronics etc. The speed and accuracy they work to is astonishing.

Top Bottom