Tour de San Luis - SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apparently both Cav and Viviani said the same thing about the finish - that they were completely unable to see the 200 metres to go signs and launched their sprints too late. Regardless, Gaviria had gone from 300, so they had plenty of time (relatively speaking) to react...

Gaviria wins stage 3 as well, Cav second. I'm sure he's delighted ;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Gaviria wins stage 3 as well, Cav second. I'm sure he's delighted ;)

No excuses today... well, apart from the usual complaints about 'sprinting style.'

zizou

Veteran
I was impressed with Gaviria at the London round of the world cup in December - he was good in the points and scratch race but the timed events stood out with a kilo @ 1.03 and 4k pursuit @ 4.21. Those sorts of times are seriously good for omnium riders and presumably he has a decent sprint on the road too.

raindog

er.....
“He’s a track rider, he was junior world champion on the track and you can see from his acceleration that he’s a track rider,” Cavendish said admiringly. “He’s a very good guy.”
Gaviria returned the compliment in his post-race press conference, confessing that simply competing against Cavendish had been the realisation of a dream. “Cavendish is the best sprinter on the planet and to beat him brings me immense pride,” Gaviria said. “I’ve seen him win stages on the Tour de France on television and he always impressed me.”

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Diaz takes a second mountain stage ahead of fellow podium contenders, Diniz and Torres. We also get the first sight of the season of an only apparently 'at 50%', Nairo Quintana coming in 4th...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Diaz is going remarkably well.

Well, it's clearly the most important race of the year for Argentinians (and many other South Americans), at the same time that the rest of the cycling world is really nowhere near peak form, so it doesn't necessarily need to have any suspicious explanation...

Last edited:
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well, it's clearly the most important race of the year for Argentians (and many other South Americans), at the same time that the rest of the cycling world is really nowhere near peak form, so it doesn't necessarily need to have any suspicious explanation...
Agreed and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well, he did 'surprisingly well' again today in the ITT, coming in 10th and extending his lead. Malori took the stage, less surprisingly.

I know, I just spotted him in twitterland and he says he just about got the lead-out for Hutarovich right but not quite.

Hutarovich was impressed by the speed of the sprint, so much so that he posted a picture:
B8O0sT0IAAA0BYj.jpg

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Gaviria mighty impressive throughout. Apparently he's not signing for any top level team until after the 2016 Olympics... I wouldn't bet against a gold or two for him there.

Top Bottom