Tour de Yorkshire revealed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
sorry mate but youve lost me, were you joking or not?
Ignore him David. He's lost me as well

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I just think it's a pity they needed to call it the Tour "de" Yorkshire. Are people really that stupid and shallow they need the faux French to make the link to the TdF? What's wrong with the Tour of Yorkshire?

Let's not get carried away here.

Professional cycling is a tiny minority interest of a tiny minority activity.

Until the tour, next to no one turned out to watch races, even in so-called cycling heartlands such as Yorkshire.

Le Tour was a triumph from a marketing perspective, but 99.99 per cent of those who turned out will not do so for some scabby road race with no in-built glamour.

Mr Verity knows that, so is wisely hanging on to any flecks of stardust he can from Le Tour.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Let's not get carried away here.

Professional cycling is a tiny minority interest of a tiny minority activity.

Until the tour, next to no one turned out to watch races, even in so-called cycling heartlands such as Yorkshire.

Le Tour was a triumph from a marketing perspective, but 99.99 per cent of those who turned out will not do so for some scabby road race with no in-built glamour.

Mr Verity knows that, so is wisely hanging on to any flecks of stardust he can from Le Tour.
I would have hoped that people would still have seen it as a legacy of the 2014 TdF. But still, it's not hugely important and if it helps the event go well and become a regular thing then that's all to the good. If it's only half as good as this year then it'll still be brilliant. And as @coffeejo says, the French names are a bit of fun. I was disappointed when they took the signs down - I had hoped they would be a permanent fixture. All that's left at the top of Cote de Bradfield is a litter bin.

Let's hope they swing down into South Yorkshire at some point.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
They could have called it "Tour oft Gods County" but that would have only prompted loads of posts about about bragging outspoken Yorkshire folk.

We don't need an excuse, as a rule... ^_^

The people of the communities along the route are what made Le Tour so amazing. They bought into it 110%. Furthermore, huge crowds at the Tour of Britain and the Friends Life Women's Tour show there is an appetite for professional road races outside GTs.

My only reservation is the thought of closed roads around Bridlington and Scarborough on a bank holiday weekend. :blink:

Grammar and politics aside, has anyone else registered their interest yet?

http://letour.yorkshire.com/tour-de-yorkshire/sportive

If so, which ride are you thinking of doing, and how fit are you? I'd really like to take on the full course but am nervous having never entered a sportive before. Do these things tend to be very competitive? I'd want to finish the course and enjoy the route, riding quick-ish, but have no interest in racing.
I'm going to start building up to it with some long rides as soon as I take delivery of my new bike so should have a better idea of my capability by March/April but am not sure if you'll need to have committed to one of the courses before then.
Of course, all this will be rendered meaningless to me if it turns out you have to pay a right old wedge to enter it.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
It all looks fab but stage 1 in particular will be stunning. The chalk cliffs of Flamborough, Dalby Forest, the North York Moors, Whitby and finishing on Scarborough north bay. Wow.

Great stuff , day one covers a lot of my sunday rides around whitby rosedale etc.
Will have to get a day off work planned.
regrds
Mark

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Will much/any of the race be televised do we know?

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 16.07.19.png

:hyper:

Top Bottom