Tour de Yorkshire Ride 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
Does anyone know where the Maserati Tour de Yorkshire Ride will be based in 2019? Entries are open but no routes/venues appear to have been published as yet........ Presumably it will follow previous formats in that it will finish in the same town/city as the TdY.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Hot off the press - the host towns for next years TdY but no route to be announced until December so looks like we'll have to wait to see where the sportive will start/finish......

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-yorkshire-route-2018-stages-168714

colly

Re member eR
Just had a quick look at the routes and maps.

I think the profiles are in some places wrong. There is a section on the long route between Otley and Carlton which is shown and flat or downhill.
TdF section.JPG

The actual profile is:

TdF real.JPG

Maybe doesn't look much but East Chevin Road is about 1.0 mile of average 10% climbing with sections of around 13.5%. No let up at all.
Maybe they will update the profiles but if they don't beware of thinking it will be a gentle last 12 miles run downwards into Leeds.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just had a quick look at the routes and maps.

I think the profiles are in some places wrong. There is a section on the long route between Otley and Carlton which is shown and flat or downhill.
View attachment 443070

The actual profile is:

View attachment 443071

Maybe doesn't look much but East Chevin Road is about 1.0 mile of average 10% climbing with sections of around 13.5%. No let up at all.
Maybe they will update the profiles but if they don't beware of thinking it will be a gentle last 12 miles run downwards into Leeds.
That profile is so wrong, it is laughable!

I've just done my best to knock up a GPX of the route and done the actual profile. (My file isn't guaranteed to be spot on but I think it is very close. The bits in and out of Leeds might be out by a street or two. I'm guessing where it will start and finish.)

Profile:
TdY sportive 2019 profile of long route.png

GPX file attached.

Attachments

• TdY sportive 2019 long route.gpx
    138.8 KB · Views: 95

colly

Re member eR
That profile is so wrong, it is laughable!

I've just done my best to knock up a GPX of the route and done the actual profile. (My file isn't guaranteed to be spot on but I think it is very close. The bits in and out of Leeds might be out by a street or two. I'm guessing where it will start and finish.)

Profile:
View attachment 443080

GPX file attached.
Yep that's more like it.

Mind you RWGPS has East Chevin Road as an average of 7.5% with a maximum gradient of 9.9%. Not in my experience.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At least it will be traffic free for the TDY riders, its hard enough as it is, but the amount of traffic spoils the climb IMO.
It will be closed for the TdY pros but I don't think any of the roads will be closed for the sportive, except the Headrow finish in Leeds city centre.

I think you are right about the traffic on the Chevin Rd. I rode up it with @Littgull a couple of months ago and it was definitely rather busy.

Yep that's more like it.

Mind you RWGPS has East Chevin Road as an average of 7.5% with a maximum gradient of 9.9%. Not in my experience.
Here's a close-up using the OS map. It averages 10.3% for 1.46 km!

Otley Chevin.png

They must be including the flatter bits at the bottom and top to get that average, and the maximum is definitely over 10%. It is a pretty steady gradient apart from that steeper bit after about 1 km.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Anyone actually doing this? My wife has brought it to my attention after it appeared on one of her friends Facebook feeds, so she has effectively suggested I do it and given permission with a single email :laugh:

My plan would be to arrive in the truck on the morning, park on @postman's drive and then cycle to the start. It would be dependant on securing the day off work though, it's a sacrifice......

NanoRoo

I've just entered. I've done it the last few years and really enjoy it, though this year is disappointingly similar to last year. The route has only one small difference compared with last year, as far as I can see. Note: I'm obviously talking about the sportive.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I won't be taking part as it would be far too embarrassing pushing the bike up that hill in front of the crowds...:laugh:

That said, I've just noticed only the medium and long routes climb East Chevin Road - the short routes climbs Pool Bank from Pool village all the way up to Otley Old Road, which must be steeper still?