Tour Down Under

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
This will start off next week and so begins the 2008 race season. With the UCI Pro Circuit rating and many of the big teams there it should be an even better event than previous years and they were already very good. It may be hard for the riders to move around and have a longer season but for us fans it keeps the interest going through the cold northern months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave5N

Über Member
Hmm. The UCI have a lot riding on it. I'm not so sure about the global effort to save the Protour, personally.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
I also have your reservations Dave5N, I think that there has to be some way that Europe is still considered to be the "First Division' and that the others will be in the Pro-Tour but as a second division. I know that seems a bit confused but getting the French and Belgians to agree on having major events that seem to 'lower' their importance will be impossible at this early stage. You only have to witness the posturing of ASO to see what I'm getting at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave5N

Über Member
I'm also not sure it is just posturing. There's a lot at stake here - and global TV rights and the sponsorship they generate is only part.

At the end of the day ASO and the other Grand Tour organisers have built phenomenal brands and fantastic sporting events - go back to the early eighties and Le Tour struggled to attract riders! It's a bit rich for the UCI to now come along and want to dictate terms.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
ASO are in the business to make money and there is nothing wrong with that, they are also the owners of the biggest event in cycle racing but they can't be allowed to dictate to the rest of the cycling world on how the sport is run. They don't actually contribute any of the wealth they generate to the teams and riders except in a relatively small amount of prize money. The UCI are elected and represent all of the cycling federations from many countries and they should be listened to by ASO and other race organisers. Perhaps it's just my feelings but when Rudehomme gets up and starts speaking I see red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave5N

Über Member
That's not really true though is it? Without the publicity of the Tour de France and to an extent, (at least in continental Europe) the other Grand Tours and events such as Paris-Nice) the big sponsors would not cough up nearly as much.

The point is that ASO and their counterparts have produced the goods whilst the UCI haven't and indeed seem to blindly charge down pointless Cul-de-Sacs of their own construction, like the Protour.

Honestly, who cares who wins the damn thing. Cadel Evans is really the World's leading Road cyclist? Don't make me laugh!

The UCI need to learn the first rule of politics: when you're in a hole, stop digging!

Anyway, The TdU has a good rep and seems to be quite popular with riders, so lets look forward to some quality racing.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
I agree that keeping the TdF going is important and for me it's the highlight of the cycling year. However I'm still of the opinion that the main reason for the opposition of ASO to the Pro tour is because the UCI tried to get a slice of the financial cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

girofan

Keith Oates said:
I agree that keeping the TdF going is important and for me it's the highlight of the cycling year. However I'm still of the opinion that the main reason for the opposition of ASO to the Pro tour is because the UCI tried to get a slice of the financial cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Keith, like most things in life, it all comes down to money!
I am of the opinion that if ASO couldn't make profit from the TdF, they would drop it like a hot brake shoe. Because they own so many of the well-known races, they would like to see themselves as the final arbitars of cycle sport, and to hell with anyone who get's in the way of their domination!
Unfortunately I can't agree it's the highlight of the year. The Giro seems to be a more exciting race, with the outcome not known until the very last stages. Obviously this is just my personal opinion.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
With a name like yours the Giro has to be your favorite and I agree it's very good. However for me the TdF has the edge, but as you say it's a personal thing and I enjoy both which is important to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Actually Dave, there is quite a bit of cycling coverage here in China with regular 1 hour or 30 minute slots when there is some good racing on.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave5N

Über Member
Yeah, but my point is that the TdF is the one the world wakes up for.

Amusingly, the Tour of China is the race the UCI spinmasters whisper is the chosen replacement for the TdF in the world's affections!

Top Bottom