tour of basque country (spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just seen highlights. Yes, very tough penalty. What tyres are Scott using? I don't want them ;)
They seemed to have gone down a series of alleys and through someone's back yard when he punctured. I expected to see riders emerging with bits of someone's washing attached to them. Looked like some really tough under-wheel conditions.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
commentator Brian Smith was saying , it may be good to watch but should gravel surfaces and dirt surfaces really be included in something called a road race.
As I've had pointed out to me when I've complained about some of what passes for roads in England (and especially road cycle routes), road does not necessarily mean paved/tarmacked.

Most of Team Lotto-Visma are riding gumwall tyres but Tony Martin has a blackwall front tyre. What happened there? I missed it.

And with 6km to go, Julian Alan Phillips and Geraint Thomas have been taken out by bike-shaped shrapnel flying off a high-speed touch of wheels near the front of the bunch. And Enric Mas too. Some riders are staying down too. Alaphillipe among them. There goes the race for him, I fear.

mjr

The yellow jersey Schachmann takes the stage to extend his lead. Mas crosses the line with about a minute lost. I think Thomas may have been the torn-up Sky rider at about 30 seconds but check the results sheet for that. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Alaphillipe finishes. I think they just said Kwiatkowski wasn't in the lead group.

mjr

Alaphillipe has finished according to http://live2.cyclingnews.com/ but 12 minutes down. Kwiatkowski lost less time but still probably a race-losing amount.

Top 4 now Schachmann, Izagirre, Patrick Konrad (both @33s), Dan Martin @49s, with Landa hovering ominously in 9th @1:16. Expect fireworks? Lots of team leaders now with little to lose.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Any ideas why there seem to be so many crashes in this race? Weather, especially slippery or bad surfaces, narrow roads, unpredictable terrain?

Adam4868

Guru
Any ideas why there seem to be so many crashes in this race? Weather, especially slippery or bad surfaces, narrow roads, unpredictable terrain?
Not been able to watch too much of it,but from what I saw plenty of pinch points ! I think the crash yesterday was just tension,fighting for position ?

Top Bottom