Tour of Britain 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Apologies if this has already been brought up, but my quick search didn't yield any results.

I'm looking forward to it this year, mostly because it's the first time I'll ever have gone to see a professional race. Disappointed that the North East was omitted, but I'm taking the train over to see the beginning of the Carlisle stage next Wednesday with my wife..

My question is more about spectating than anything else: are there any sort of 'rules'? As I understand it, they set off fairly close to the station, so can we just rock up and stand where we want? And do you have to pay for the privilege? I am guessing the answers are 'Yes' and 'No', but any advice would be much appreciated!

festival

Über Member
Yes, sort of and No.
These days most pro races will have an area barriered off, maybe the whole street.
There will be a stage where the riders come to sign on before the race, close to the start line.
The team cars etc will be parked in side streets where the riders will wait until the start so have a good wander around rather than wait at the barriers.

Lancj1

Delighted that stage two on Monday is in my neck of the woods. The finish is in Knowsley Safari Park - a mile from my front door - and the race covers a number of B roads out in the sticks. I have my eye on a section over a narrow railway bridge adjacent to a pub beer garden. Its a little bit further away from home but the pre and apres race will be fun. Just deciding whether to dress up as a duck or something :laugh:..... with sideburns

Wester

Guru
I am wondering how big the crowds watching the tour are going to be . my guess is they will be big or very big

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I'm going to be cycling over to Gun Hill on the Thursday and will probably try to see it on Monday as well. Not sure if to just see them North of Macc or to cycle over to see the sprint at the Edgerton Arms at Chelford.

bobcat

I'll be cycling up from Sussex for the last stage in Surrey if anyone fancies keeping me company.

mattobrien

Guru
The tour has been kind enough to plan their route to run past the top of my road so it would seem a shame not to take Mrs O and the two mini O's to watch them zoom round.

That said they clearly need a little map reading advice, Ipswich to Norwich is 50 miles at worst, so making it 120 miles just assumes they'll all get lost, lots!

Top Bottom