Tour of Britain 2023 *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They have put the timings up since I last looked. At "standard" speed, they pass my house at 12:37, with the first ascent of Caerphilly mountain starting at 15:03. Just wondering how long before they arrive I'd need to be on the mountain, trying to decide whether to watch them whizz through my village at 40+kph before cycling over (probably take me about an hour).

make sure you don't get foiled by any road closures if you are planning this. I'm not familiar with the area but can you get to the mountain by a route that isn't "the route"?
defo easier on a bike. if you think you may be short of time you could do some of trip over in the car and then bike the last bit to get past any road closures. they are generally sympathetic if you're on a bike as long as the peloton isn't right up your arris.

Jameshow

Veteran
make sure you don't get foiled by any road closures if you are planning this. I'm not familiar with the area but can you get to the mountain by a route that isn't "the route"?
defo easier on a bike. if you think you may be short of time you could do some of trip over in the car and then bike the last bit to get past any road closures. they are generally sympathetic if you're on a bike as long as the peloton isn't right up your arris.

Or you catch a Lift on back of peleton, obvs not going to cut it with spa tourer and baggy trousers!

Alex321

Veteran

I can get to a few hundred yards away without going on any roads they will be using. It is actually the first part getting away from home that would be trickiest, not the part close to where I would want to watch. But if I leave after they pass, it should be open pretty soon, I would think.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I can get to a few hundred yards away without going on any roads they will be using. It is actually the first part getting away from home that would be trickiest, not the part close to where I would want to watch. But if I leave after they pass, it should be open pretty soon, I would think.

Yes I've chased the Womens tour (got nowhere near catching them) after they came thrugh the neutral zone past OH's house and we coud get onto the road pretty much straight away. obviously there was no break or group off the back to wait for, just the cars behind a tight peleton. As it was the Women we didint need to wait for G to remount after falling off in the neutra zone.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Manchester stage looks very similar to the last time it was here. Right then, cycle out to Werneth Low to watch the climb, then home, changed, and train into town to watch it from Dirty Martini bar on Deansgate.

Mike_P

Guru
I nearly got caught out at the 2019 UCIs. Cycled west on the A59 to a point on the drop towards Bolton Abbey to watch the Junior Men's road race and left my bike next to a wall facing west. Watched the race going up hill from the opposite side and just in time realised that the tail race vehicles were immediately being followed by a very long queue of held up vehicles.

Stage two route is available, it goes past Beeston Castle, so I'll probably cycle over there too.

Or, I'll go to the Ice Cream Farm and watch.

I'm thinking it might be possible to see the race twice. Holt and Bangor on Dee. And possibly again in Wrexham?

Alex321

Veteran
Most of the teams are up now.

I think Tom Pidcock and Wout Van Aert are probably the favourites for GC.

I spent the weekend at Margam Park, where Stage 8 starts, but not for cycling reasons, I am a member of eth Sealed Knot, and we were doing an English Civil War re-enactment there.

Jameshow

Veteran
Most of the teams are up now.

I think Tom Pidcock and Wout Van Aert are probably the favourites for GC.

I spent the weekend at Margam Park, where Stage 8 starts, but not for cycling reasons, I am a member of eth Sealed Knot, and we were doing an English Civil War re-enactment there.

My money on WVA!

Alex321

Veteran
The whole stretch Wilmslow to Shaw on the Manchester stage are roads I ride a lot so I'm ready to be pushed even further down the Strava leaderboards

Yeah, that will happen to me as well. Quite a lot of the Welsh stage is on roads I have ridden, some of it on roads I ride frequently.

Top Bottom