Tour of Britain 2023 *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristolian

Happy days, looks like I can get to see stages 7 & 8 this year. S7 passes through a village about 4 miles from my home and with a bit of luck I might be able to get to see it in a couple of places. Getting into Wales for S8 and the final climb on Caerphilly Mountain sounds like a plan - the snack bar will be busy ^_^

Alex321

Veteran
Happy days, looks like I can get to see stages 7 & 8 this year. S7 passes through a village about 4 miles from my home and with a bit of luck I might be able to get to see it in a couple of places. Getting into Wales for S8 and the final climb on Caerphilly Mountain sounds like a plan - the snack bar will be busy ^_^

I hope they hav e extra supplies in :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Decent enough team from Ineos, must be in with a shout.
It's been a decade since they won GC. Mostly, they either don't send a top GC rider or their leader's head seems to fall off, like they get enough praise just for showing up to their home race, it's not worth putting the effort in for this small race and they'd rather be starting the off-season early. Why will this year be different? Does Pidcock see last year's halted race as unfinished business?

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
It's been a decade since they won GC. Mostly, they either don't send a top GC rider or their leader's head seems to fall off, like they get enough praise just for showing up to their home race, it's not worth putting the effort in for this small race and they'd rather be starting the off-season early. Why will this year be different? Does Pidcock see last year's halted race as unfinished business?
Who's the minor players in that team ? Is there a bigger GC rider for Ineos than Pidcock or Rodriquez.

mjr

Who's the minor players in that team ? Is there a bigger GC rider for Ineos than Pidcock or Rodriquez.
You're the one calling them minor players, not me! Ineos's bigger GC riders are Thomas and arguably Ganna, but they're busy elsewhere. Geoghegan Hart, Sivakov, Martinez and Tullett all have won GC IIRC, but seem to be on the naughty step for transferring. Narváez is out injured. How many GCs have Pidcock and Rodriguez won between them as World Tour riders? It's a nice round number, isn't it?

Ineos could still win it, but the Jumbo line up looks threatening: WVA, Affini, Kruijswijk, Kooij, Van Emden and Van Hooydonck. Bora and Movistar are also sending strong teams, but also with sprinters (Bennett and Gaviria, respectively), so maybe they're not all in for the GC.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
You're the one calling them minor players, not me! Ineos's bigger GC riders are Thomas and arguably Ganna, but they're busy elsewhere. Geoghegan Hart, Sivakov, Martinez and Tullett all have won GC IIRC, but seem to be on the naughty step for transferring. Narváez is out injured. How many GCs have Pidcock and Rodriguez won between them as World Tour riders? It's a nice round number, isn't it?

Ineos could still win it, but the Jumbo line up looks threatening: WVA, Affini, Kruijswijk, Kooij, Van Emden and Van Hooydonck. Bora and Movistar are also sending strong teams, but also with sprinters (Bennett and Gaviria, respectively), so maybe they're not all in for the GC.
Not sure of your point and neither are you by the sounds of it...I think there team can more than challenge for the overall.You say in your other post
Mostly, they either don't send a top GC rider or their leader's head seems to fall off, like they get enough praise just for showing up to their home race, it's not worth putting the effort in for this small race and they'd rather be starting the off-season early.
Yet did Hayter not come runner up in 2021 and Pidders in 2022 ?
Hardly "not putting the effort in" as you say.Home riders on home soil..who wants that 🙄

mjr

Not sure of your point and neither are you by the sounds of it...I think there team can more than challenge for the overall.You say in your other post

Yet did Hayter not come runner up in 2021 and Pidders in 2022 ?
Hardly "not putting the effort in" as you say.Home riders on home soil..who wants that 🙄
I'm sure of my point. Maybe you should read the other side of the "or" for Hayter and Pidcock? They're not Ineos's top GC riders, contrary to your earlier point. At least Hayter had won GC, unlike this Pidcock and Rodriguez.

Chislenko

Veteran
I'm thinking it might be possible to see the race twice. Holt and Bangor on Dee. And possibly again in Wrexham?

Like @GuyBoden I think I will sit on the grassy verge at Beeston Castle and get my ten seconds of action as they whizz past!

Not really any climbs on this route to watch them suffer.

Have previously shared a segment with Remco, now I can share one with WVA!

Top Bottom