tour of britain route announced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
"This year we have worked hard to create an innovative and unpredictable route, with several surprises in store throughout the race,”

Starting a stage at Carmarthen and finishing in Chavnewydd is going to bring many surprises (Cue "Duelling Banjos")

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm fairly sure it has been to Cornwall in the past though. But I don't think it has been to Kent since it was the Milk Race and they certainly can't use the infrastructure excuse for that.

Yorkshire misses out this year too, as does East Anglia. It happens. It's a race of eight stages. Even with 21 stages the Tour de France usually misses out large parts of the country - Alsace this year, for example.

I would love it if the ToB did visit Scotland - the scenery would be a fantastic advert for cycling in Britain - but it would be a logistical nightmare so I get why they don't. It would be nice if Scotland had its own stage race along the lines of the TdY.

ETA: just checked and the last time it visited Kent was 2006, when a stage finished in Canterbury, the year before the Tour de France did the same. For some reason, I don't remember the ToB coming down here, even though I live just a few miles away from the finish line. It has visited Scotland many times over the years, the last time in 2015, but no further north than Glasgow/Edinburgh by the look of it. It seems I was mistaken in thinking it had visited Cornwall in the past - Exmouth is about as close as it has come.

Has it visited Yorkshire since the TdeY started? I'd got the impression they were avoiding the county now

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Has it visited Yorkshire since the TdeY started? I'd got the impression they were avoiding the county now

Last time it visited Yorkshire appears to be 2010 when stage 1 was Rochdale to Blackpool. In 2009, stage 1 was Scunthorpe to York.

So the avoiding Yorkshire thing predates the TdY by several years. Most odd.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Last time it visited Yorkshire appears to be 2010 when stage 1 was Rochdale to Blackpool. In 2009, stage 1 was Scunthorpe to York.

So the avoiding Yorkshire thing predates the TdY by several years. Most odd.
When did Yorkshire start bidding for the TdF Grand Depart? It was announced in December 2012, so they probably started approaching ASO at least in 2011. Councils, development bodies, tourist boards and so on actually bid for the Tours of Britain and Yorkshire's may have been unwilling to fund work on two bids at once - and I suspect ASO would have taken making two bids as evidence of hedging their bets, playing ASO off against Sweetspot and/or the TdF bid being half-hearted or second-hand.

I would love it if the ToB did visit Scotland - the scenery would be a fantastic advert for cycling in Britain - but it would be a logistical nightmare.
How so?

Top Bottom