tour of britain route announced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 5269150, member: 259"]Have you ever had to navigate your way round the one way system in Mansfield? :ohmy:[/QUOTE]
From what I hear about the road and rail infrastructure in Englandshire, any issues re remoteness in Scotland would have far less impact on logistics than any transfer between stages in Englandshire. But it's a mindset thing.

[QUOTE 5269155, member: 259"]Honestly, I was just making a cheap point about Mansfield, not disagreeing with you.[/QUOTE]
I know, but I never miss an opportunity to point out stuff about how stuff that's obvious to me doesn't seem as obvious to Englandshire-dwellers

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
So, in the "getting close to Birmingham so as to draw some support, but not close enough to have to deal with a penniless council and grumpy car- obsessed locals who think shutting roads deprives them of their constitutional right" game, ToB had chosen Warwickshire. Not my favourite riding countryside (ooh, that'll upset a few of my neighbours) - pretty but not enough challenging hills. Will hopefully excite a friend of mine in Kenilworth. A new station, and now this! Almost on the map now!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5269155, member: 259"]Honestly, I was just making a cheap point about Mansfield, not disagreeing with you.[/QUOTE]
Isn't Mansfield the town that welcomed the tour by banning cyclists from its town centre with a Pickles PSPO?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There was obviously an Easterly wind blowing when they tossed the stage markers onto the giant map (I think they use the one the breakfast TV weather presenter fell off) to decide the route.

on a more serious note, don't counties or councils bid for stages, so maybe Cornwall and Scotland (north of G/E) aren't interested.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Cornwall would be an interesting one. No great climbs, but a lot of steep ups and downs. All a bit samey, though (waiting to be corrected on this). Yorkshire had the variety of flatter bits too, so could do a couple of stages.

Kernow_T

Über Member
Good point.

After a bit of googling ... Cornwall may be interested in future, as this link from Cornwall Live 14 Nov 2017 shows

A bid has emerged to help Cornwall host a stage of the world famous Tour de France cycling race as part of plans to bring the Tour of Britain to the county.
Cornwall Council is being asked to support a bid to host a stage of the Tour of Britain cycle event with hopes that it could come to the county in 2020.
Cornwall councillor Loic Rich is set to table a motion to the full council meeting next week asking for financial support to draw up a bid for the Tour of Britain.
Several town and parish councils across Cornwall have already discussed supporting a bid to host the Tour of Britain and it is hoped that there could now be countywide support.

And this pdf on the Liskeard Council website from Jun 2017

In December 2016, the Council resolved to support the Tour of Britain cycling race passing through Liskeard. Discussions with the organisers are now focused on this being held in 2020 with the whole stage held within Cornwall rather than a finish across the border as previously suggested.
No doubt all manner of
Cornwall would be an interesting one. No great climbs, but a lot of steep ups and downs. All a bit samey, though (waiting to be corrected on this). Yorkshire had the variety of flatter bits too, so could do a couple of stages.
There are certainly some real killer climbs - just none of the renowned 'bucket list' entries however opportunity to string 6 miles of climbing/descending ave. 10% in a 10mile stretch would add great excitement and that (probably unique) test would certainly add to the tour and probably promote real racing and plenty of attacking. There are certainly a few flat sections however I think you'd struggle to do 100 miles with less than 6500ft climbing. However there would be opportunity for a 'normal' stage and a TT I reckon.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We have booked our spot to watch the ladies ride by on Thursday might even go and catch them later in the day as well but will see

We popped in to Rushden over the weekend and most of the town centre shops have a display or signs mentioning the tour which is good to see

Top Bottom