tour of britain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomson

Sure there racing past duns. Used to work there for ten and a half years so it’s like a home for me. Might go down....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm... I have just noticed that there is a KOM at Grains Bar between Delph and Shaw on Stage 8. That is somewhere that I occasionally cycle to so if the weather is okay I'll ride up there and take a few photos of the peloton, then carry on to make a decent hilly loop of it.
Anyone fancy joining me for this hilly metric century ride from Todmorden with a stop at the Grains Bar KoM? (At my usual slow/steady pace!)

ColinJ

Out of curiosity, what is your usual slow/steady pace ?
On hilly routes like that these days in chatty company, an overall average speed including stops of about 13 kph (8 mph), sometimes less.

I did a solo hilly 100 km ride this summer at an overall speed of about 15 kph (9.5 mph). That was a very hot day which sapped me. I reckon I could just about do 16-17 kph (10-10.5 mph) on a milder day.

I used to do 20 kph overall on hilly 200 km audax rides but I suspect those days are behind me now! :laugh:

Coming right past me. All the signs are up, a lot of roads have been resurfaced and some potholes filled. I'm hoping they'll get rid of the rest of the roadworks which have been plaguing the summer too. Picked my spot and looking forward to it arriving.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
ITV4 will be showing live coverage
Casually scrolling through this thread I got the impression that ITV would be showing live coverage of @ColinJ riding a metric century.

I've actually seen that live. It was thrilling.

ColinJ

Casually scrolling through this thread I got the impression that ITV would be showing live coverage of @ColinJ riding a metric century.

I've actually seen that live. It was thrilling.
Ha ha!

Meanwhile, back at the ToB... For some reason, I never find it quite as interesting as I'd like it to be. It isn't that they never get any good riders taking part. Maybe it's that they don't tend to come up with the right mix of stages?

Anyway, I hope that it is more exciting this time round.

johnblack

Über Member
Going to the finish at Burton Dassett on stage 7. They have a TOB "village" there, if it was in Belgium we'd get frites and beer, think I might be lucky to get a coffee at this one. Still, will be a good place to watch and will have to stock up with supplies from the Coop before I get there.

ColinJ

Going to the finish at Burton Dassett on stage 7. They have a TOB "village" there, if it was in Belgium we'd get frites and beer, think I might be lucky to get a coffee at this one. Still, will be a good place to watch and will have to stock up with supplies from the Coop before I get there.
That should be a good vantage point!

I have cycled up there a couple of times.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Cav and Cummings riding for Dimension Data.
Has Cav actually contested a sprint all year? He's turned up to a couple of races (tours of Poland and Deutschland) and arsed around a bit but that's all I can remember.

Still, I'm going to see him at the WWF 6 day cycling which should be fun.

Top Bottom