tour of flanders sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Hope I'm in the right section.Basically anyone done it ? Fancy going next year for the weekend and watching the race then saw that you could ride certain distances the day before the race on Saturday.Couple of sticking points are don't want to go on organised tour as would "have" to go with Mrs and make a weekend of it.Ryanair are my cheapest option of getting there and 120 quid to take my bike !! The only bike rental there I saw was 125 euros for the day.Does anybody know a better way of getting bike there or renting one whilst there ? Thanks in advance,if not I guess I'm just going to go watch and drink beer and eat fritts !

ANT 666

Trying to re member
Eat a German??

philk56

Guru
Did it with a couple of friends a few years ago but we went with one of the companies linked to from their website. We did consider booking it all ourselves but this took all the hassle out of having to find accommodation, registering, getting to the starting point, etc. We only did the short route (85k) but with the cobbles was probably the hardest ride I've done - but good fun! Took the three bikes on the car and got ferry to Dunkirk. It was just a couple of hours drive to the town where we stayed. Registration was all sorted when we got there and they transported us to and from the start/finish point at Oudenaarde. We then found a good spot to watch the race on Sunday and then retired to a local bar to watch the conclusion on TV before driving back to Dunkirk. The place went crazy when Tom Boonen crossed the line! Considering we got two night's accommodation and meals, plus all the other services I thought it was very good value. They get a pretty big turnout of riders from all over the world, we had a group of Americans with us plus Japanese, so I would imagine finding suitably close accommodation would be the first thing to sort out if organising it yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks for info,I'll go and watch it either way,riding or not.Getting flights and accommodation is no problem,cheap as well if I go Ryanair.Just the bike logistics,I don't want to pay 120 quid to take mine and 125 euro to rent one for a day seems steep.Maybe another time when I'm more flush I'll do the organised one.Mrs won't stand for that as a Xmas pressie !

Don't know where you are but when I've did it mates have driven and either a Calais or Tunnel crossing and that's not been too dear and certainly made the bike transport easier. I did the longest one the first year and tbh the first 60 or so km are boring until you get to the cobbles/hills. The next time I did it, I just done the cobbles/hill and enjoyed a wee bit more of drink the night before.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks but got flights on ryanair 50 return from manchester,so taking my bike is a no with them.Think 120 ish !! Ill try snd get more organised one year snd do it.Staying in ghent,looking forward to it.

Top Bottom