Tour of Sufferlandria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Day 8 done - that was a toughie! TSS 810 for the ToS so far. ISLAGIATT on day 9 should bring it up to around 950ish....never done that vid before. Overall intensity factor is 0.86.....I demand a stewards enquiry coz it felt a lot harder. Did you do any of it Rob3rt?

Those new Castelli's squeezed out an additional 20 or so watts. Very comfy.

Sweet potato fries....hmm, hmm, hmmmmmm. There's one steak house that splashes honey on the top - oh yeah! They put sugar in everything too: bread & milk are particularly sweet. Generally the food is fab and relatively cheap. Fair to say we all love it here.....yep, livin the life indeed.

MrPie

....would be genuinely interested to learn about you training schedule Rob3rt. I just fanny around on the bike for enjoyment and really should get a proper training program set up.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Well done Mr P. Pain = likes. There was a bit of me that was worried you'd bailed and I was preparing to turn my back on you, so good to hear you're still with us. Remember that all flogging stations are currently busy on Andy Murray, so you'll have to motivate yourself for stage 9. Hurry though, only 11 hours left! I'm in a post ToS alcoholic haze now. If I can work past the electric blue of the dishwasher rinse aid, my next cocktail is sorted.

The Castelli's. I don't give a f&£@ how comfy they were! How good did they look? Stay off the corn syrup though, or they won't fit. At under 80kgs, I'm still a Castelli XXL.

Ooooh - the Super Bowl is on. "Let it go, let it go. can't hold it back anymore." That's the national anthem, right?

MrPie

Looked absolutely farkin awesome in those Castelli's.....78kg of lightning tube steak. Squeezed into those size L's.....the missus wouldn't ordinarily let me out looking that good, but the work had to get done. Throw in the towel? NO WAY. I mean NO WAY.

Gonna cut loose early from work tomorrow for the final instalment. Comfy? Must be the heat. Will make sure I throw some scratchy sawdust into the chamois and deep heat on my ball sack for extra discomfort.

Murray needs to be exported to Saudi for serious flogging + ninja punch in the throat + metal shavings poured down his.....you get the picture.

Cocktail on my man.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Day 8 done - that was a toughie! TSS 810 for the ToS so far. ISLAGIATT on day 9 should bring it up to around 950ish....never done that vid before. Overall intensity factor is 0.86.....I demand a stewards enquiry coz it felt a lot harder. Did you do any of it Rob3rt?

Those new Castelli's squeezed out an additional 20 or so watts. Very comfy.

Sweet potato fries....hmm, hmm, hmmmmmm. There's one steak house that splashes honey on the top - oh yeah! They put sugar in everything too: bread & milk are particularly sweet. Generally the food is fab and relatively cheap. Fair to say we all love it here.....yep, livin the life indeed.

Nope, I don't follow training video's and this winter I have done pretty much no high intensity interval stuff, a few sprints dropped into tempo rides and some threshold work, but I identified a trend between my best performances and my training load, my best performances always came when I was doing the most training, regardless of the training composition, as such I set about trying to train as much as possible, to me means extracting the highest TSS possible from my training time each week, in order to do this, I am very much doing a lot of moderate intensity, long efforts which while on an hour by hour basis don't give as high a TSS as smashing it for a hard interval session, the fatigue is such that I can do more hours, a lot more and train more regularly, so I clock up a lot more training long term. I am not saying composition is irrelevant BTW, I just think that composition has a much smaller impact on performance than how much training you do (which might seem crazy to many, as a result of "training smart" being rammed down our throats by magazines and whatnot). At least that is how it seems to me, based on my data and race performances.

Last edited:

MrPie

Job done! Did shredded chamois dance at the end too. Felt strangely strong, so much so that I stopped a couple of times to recalibrate the power meter. Buzzed along at 280 watts with HR around 160bpm (that's 80% of max).

Shredded a tyre yesterday too with all that sprinting :boxing:

Bloody well earned donut & cup of cha tonight + rest day tomorrow. Gonna keep up the momentum during the week and hopefully bust some ass in the fast group Saturday ride.:tongue:

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
He happy few indeed, Mr P! I hope you're walking with a certain swagger this morning. Is it a quiet pride, or it could be the effect of the 'snug' castellis? This talk of 'strong finishing' has me worried though. GvA is looking at your power profiles right now to determine if any remaining suffering can be mechanically extracted.

Following the sufferfest friendface page, it looks like they've hit the $100,000 target, which is cool. also, thanks for the posts. It would have been a duller experience without the general CC silliness.

MrPie

Pleassure was all mine Big Boy Bollo - thanks for the company. Analysed the power profile, which does not quite match up with my 'on on-the-job, on-screen' observations.....might have imagined an extra 20 or so watts. Cough.

Can't say I've noticed any CC silliness :whistle:. Being a true blue I normally don't participate or get drawn into leftie party politico arguments or have random arguments with strangers.....I save those arguments for the rest of my leftie family....yep, black sheep as well as true blue.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Well done chaps

I also did the tour of sufferlandria
http://www.trainerroad.com/career/jclivingston

First winter on a turbo and absolutely love it - TrainerRoad makes it a fantastic tool for improving strength and endurance on the bike.
Well done yourself, those are some solid looking numbers. People either love or hate the turbos, but TR is certainly an excellent tool for getting more out of them.

If I get my backside into gear next year, I might try and drum up some more organised suffering with a cyclechat team entry.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The suckup to TR in my last post worked - I've won a waterbottle. Not the iPad, but I'm strangely elated.

Top Bottom