England : Worcestershire Tour of Worcester as first sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Hi all

I have been considering registering for this sportive in October, as an incentive to do an imperial half century

https://www.wheelsinwheels.com/Tour_of_Worcester_cycling_sportive_UK.php

I have been around most sections of the route, though not in one single ride. I regularly ride up to around 40 miles, with some left in the tank, so I think 50 miles should be ok.

Anyone here done this sportive before? Any ideas what to expect as a complete sportive novice?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Not done it, but sounds like a nice event.

If you regularly do 40 miles, I’m sure 50 as a one-off will be no problem at all – I’d suggest having a bash at the 70 miler if you’re after a challenge/incentive.

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
The 70 miler might be a step too far at the moment. The main reason I was considering this is the experience, but I am not sure how it would go for me. I have never ridden in a group, except with my children, so I am a bit unsure how that would go. I am a slow rider, around 13.5 mph average for my longer rides, and I am concerned I will be getting on other riders way.

So, I guess what I am asking is, what should a rider like me expect on the day, am I likely to be a hindrance to others? Would there be many other riders on the same circumstances?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
13.5 mph doesn't sound all that slow to me.

I've not done many sportives, and I think they can vary a lot in the size of field and speed of riders, but I doubt you'll be in anyone's way at that average. I've certainly done sportives slower.

steverob

Guru
Given some of the sportives I've entered in the past, at 13.5mph you'll be flying past at least half the entrants. That's about the speed I average on a hilly ride (14.5 on a flat one) and I normally find myself in the first third of riders at any organised event that doesn't attract the wannabe-pros.

Also agree that if you regularly do 40 mile rides, a 50 as a one-off will not be a problem. I saw it written somewhere that when training for a specific distance that you haven't done before, you should just do up to 75% of the actual distance during your training rides and you'll be fine on the day. Maybe there's no science in that, but it has certainly has worked for me in the past.

Reactions: C R

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My limited experience of volunteering at sportives suggests you will fit in fine.

Chances are with your route knowledge you may end up dispensing some advice to others.

There will be a few weekend warriors who blast off the front, but they need not concern you unless you catch them later.

Worth listening out for shite cyclists' patter at the end.

Some of them do say things such as 'full gas' and 'burning matches' with a straight face.

You might be able to keep up if you 'get on the rivet'.

icowden

Veteran
The only thing you might want to take into consideration is that the Gallop route in particular has quite a few big hills in it (3 big climbs (700-800ft) and 2 smaller ones (400-500ft)

13 rider

Guru
You wil be fine and probably love the event . Anyone who is racing it will start at the front do just let them go . If you find your self in a group which will make you quicker don't do anything suddenly ie changing direction stopping etc and most of all enjoy the ride

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
The only thing you might want to take into consideration is that the Gallop route in particular has quite a few big hills in it (3 big climbs (700-800ft) and 2 smaller ones (400-500ft)

I've done two of the climbs. The first one up to the Wyche is a bit tough, and need one stop. The second one I can just about manage in one go. I need to try the third one at least once before the sportive, that's going to be a though one.

I am not concerned about how long it takes, just aiming to finish. My main concern is what @13 rider said about riding in a group, because of my lack of experience.

13 rider

Guru
I would guess unless it a massive event there will be plenty of room on the road so if your unsure about group riding just find a gap and ride your own pace . If you find yourself in a group you soon pick up riders style if your not happy with the riding standard just drop off the back . But most people you find yourself mixing with will be fairly experienced so you should have no problems . Don't over think the group riding thing just enjoy the day

StickyPTFE

Looks like a good event, I have had to sign up.

I have done a number of sportives, always on my own. I have never had any serious issues. I like the sense of community that I wouldn't usualy get when riding.

You will easily do 50 miles, especially with the other riders pushing you along.

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
The weather is looking good for this ride sunday. I am signed up to do the 70 mile ride.

Have you signed up now OP?
I have, but the 50 mile, I don't think I would be able to finish the 70 mile route.

The weather forecast does indeed look good, but it has been changing a lot over the last week, lets hope it stays as it is.

Top Bottom