Tour with double or triple pannier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Georgem123

Hi all

For a month long tour, would you use a triple or double pannier?

The triple gives a bit more space, but then it makes it more cumbersome to get the tent on top?

Or can you still get a tent on top of a triple

I have been eyeing this, seems like a very good deal down from £39,, anyone tried it , reviews?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-C...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item58af397c23

or got any recommendations for a set of panniers that will last a month long tour for £30 or less?

KneesUp

Guru
There are some roll top ones left in our local Aldi - £19.99 IIRC

the snail

Guru
what does roll top mean?

and are the aldi ones any good? for a months tour?
If they're the same ones I have, they're decent panniers, but too small - a bit smaller than ortlieb front rollers.
Roll top means you close them by rolling the top like you might a paper bag, rather than having a flap/zip.

Trull

Über Member
I'd prefer seperate panniers and a rack top bag, that way you have max flexibility. Its a good idea to have a few quick release toe straps with you to secure awkward shaped stuff to the rack top as well.

suzeworld

Veteran
and are the aldi ones any good? for a months tour?

My mate bought a couple of these, they look good, loads cheaper than ortlieb, of course. But small, think he's using them as front panniers, he has Altura for his main ones.
He is off to Shetland today.
Top tip for touring, use rubble bags to line your panniers, extremely waterproof, even in torrential Hebridean rain, and just about the right size and don't rip!

saoirse50

Veteran
Over my touring life, I have used four different sets of panniers. All separate. Far easier to use mass transport systems if needed at beginning and end of trips, which I usually do. My first were a set of secondhand Karrimors.....tough and serviceable, and passed on to someone else when I bought a set of Ortlieb roll tops...even tougher and absolutely waterproof...used for many years but quite frustratingly lacking in extra pockets to store stuff you need easy access to. I still use these for my weekly shop.
I was seduced by the marketing of the very attractive Arkel range....however, although I think it's worth spending more on panniers that will see heavy use (which mine do) they were way out of my price range. I finally got a set for under half price on eBay (still a fair sum). They had a whole range of extra pockets and additions in which to organise your belongings! Like suitcases for the bike really! However, I found them a bit too heavy in practice and ended up selling these on to someone else. Who loves them. Extremely well made, tough. Spare pannier fitting mechanisms available So easy to pack, organise and access gear. But not waterproof.
So back to the old Ortlieb top rollers for a while. Which kept getting borrowed as younger members of the family started going off on trips without me. So, seemed necessary to fork out for a new set....I finally settled on the Ortlieb Bikepackers. They do have a few little extra sections to stow stuff you may need quick access to. Fully waterproof. Seem fairly tough and serviceable. Extremely simple pannier connection points and came with replacement pannier fittings, so far not yet used. Love 'em. Not sure yet if they will stand up to as much rough treatment as the roll tops, which have been thrown down mountain sides and on to station platforms, crushed on trains, submerged in streams and rivers, but they have been left out all night in torrential rain (with gear inside remaining absolutely dry).
As to double or triple....double and separate every time for me, with bungees to strap extra kit to top of pannier rack as needed. (This last trip which I have just completed ( 3 and a half weeks in Scotland and Hebrides) I generally had the tent, poles and my new Helinox chair strapped to top of pannier. Plus food supplies when purchased. I find it a far more versatile arrangement.
I, too, would worry about cheaper options on tour. How tough are the fittings on the Aldi ones going to be at that price...I would just be worrying about them breaking every time I went over any rough terrain.

OP
OP
G

Georgem123

Over my touring life, I have used four different sets of panniers. All separate. Far easier to use mass transport systems if needed at beginning and end of trips, which I usually do. My first were a set of secondhand Karrimors.....tough and serviceable, and passed on to someone else when I bought a set of Ortlieb roll tops...even tougher and absolutely waterproof...used for many years but quite frustratingly lacking in extra pockets to store stuff you need easy access to. I still use these for my weekly shop.
I was seduced by the marketing of the very attractive Arkel range....however, although I think it's worth spending more on panniers that will see heavy use (which mine do) they were way out of my price range. I finally got a set for under half price on eBay (still a fair sum). They had a whole range of extra pockets and additions in which to organise your belongings! Like suitcases for the bike really! However, I found them a bit too heavy in practice and ended up selling these on to someone else. Who loves them. Extremely well made, tough. Spare pannier fitting mechanisms available So easy to pack, organise and access gear. But not waterproof.
So back to the old Ortlieb top rollers for a while. Which kept getting borrowed as younger members of the family started going off on trips without me. So, seemed necessary to fork out for a new set....I finally settled on the Ortlieb Bikepackers. They do have a few little extra sections to stow stuff you may need quick access to. Fully waterproof. Seem fairly tough and serviceable. Extremely simple pannier connection points and came with replacement pannier fittings, so far not yet used. Love 'em. Not sure yet if they will stand up to as much rough treatment as the roll tops, which have been thrown down mountain sides and on to station platforms, crushed on trains, submerged in streams and rivers, but they have been left out all night in torrential rain (with gear inside remaining absolutely dry).
As to double or triple....double and separate every time for me, with bungees to strap extra kit to top of pannier rack as needed. (This last trip which I have just completed ( 3 and a half weeks in Scotland and Hebrides) I generally had the tent, poles and my new Helinox chair strapped to top of pannier. Plus food supplies when purchased. I find it a far more versatile arrangement.
I, too, would worry about cheaper options on tour. How tough are the fittings on the Aldi ones going to be at that price...I would just be worrying about them breaking every time I went over any rough terrain.
thanks,very good reply. I will take that into account

Yellow7

Über Member
I used a similar pannier on my first few fortnight tours and found it okay, a fair amount of space and reasonably good quality. I think my tent packed into the top okay - was just a ten pound tesco tent. Also, as Suzeworld stated, using rubble sacks is effective at keeping all dry, a cost effective option. If touring around europe road conditions are reasonably smooth enough so the brackets shouldn't be too stressed and break.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The bigger the pannier the more gear you will find to put in it.

I have Ortleib back rollers anden Ortleib bar bag. I can go away indefinately with what I can fit in them.

The trick is to be ruthless with what you are taking. Sort it all out before you get near a pannier.

Steve

Yellow7

Über Member
I'd say it's no 'trick' but ones personnel choice / desire what is taken. I've met others carrying an accordion + a small didgeridoo, another with a guitar and even someone with snorkeling gear.We're all similar, yet very different.

Top Bottom