Tour with double or triple pannier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I looked at the Aldi ones. The plastic hooks look fragile, not sure I'd trust them on tour.

A pal of mine bought some Aldi panniers against my advice: 'Buy cheap buy twice'

A couple of the plastic hooks sheared off at the end of the first day of our shakedown mini tour, He bought some Altura panniers as an upgrade.

hoopdriver

Guru
Economising on panniers when you're setting off touring is a really bad idea....

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
You could always look at getting a front rack and another pair of panniers, if capacity is a problem. As for bungees...my bicycle has never known a mile ridden without bungees kept on the rack. Never know when you have to carry bread, drills, hats, spades, track pumps or laser printers.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Those e-bay ones look fine though I'd be tempted to change the fasteners for the frame. nothing wrong with them but they are a faff.
I did a 2 week tour last year with a triple set from Lidl. They were really good and very sturdy. Still like new and will be used again. They have the same fasteners as the e-bay ones. I'd have no problem bunging a tent on top if needed, though my tent fitted in one of the panniers. I did bung loads of other stuff on top at times though. Personally I don't see the point in expensive heavy panniers. Must admit I do like the simple [cheap?] life. Hence that bike.
14320648167_b20418590d_c.jpg

Top Bottom