Tourer/utility bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
schwinn-impact-on-ridge-from-fore-starboard-quarter_edited-1.jpg

20.00 American at a church sale, then had drop bars, Schwinn drop bar brakes(longer pull, those)from the parts bin, and racks added. Now, I like it so much it has two sets of wheels, these for off road, and narrower wheel set for road riding. Very fine for a Schwinn. A very light Cr-Mo frameset, great gearing, finest touring bicycle I've owned. Getting new racks and maybe brifters this year. I've also used it as a regular commuter. It does a great job at that as well. Far more bike than the branding says, I'm thinking it was an overrun from another brand.

Wonderful post and pic gravity aided. Love the fact that you like it so much you have given it spare different purpose wheels. Cycling can still be so simple can't it if you don't let the bullshitters/marketeers seduce you? Pedal on.

Yep, anything that can hold two wheels in place and pedals that function is a bike. Its amazing how precious some can get with carbon & 33 gears when you can go continental touring on a 3 speed (my greatest ever expedition).

My next bike will probably cost more than £1,700 but will I get more pleasure from it than your £170? There is real and a different pleasure in enjoying a bargain. If only I was competent enough and had the time to bring one back to life. Chapeau!
I tbought you had the time.

As for being competent, if i can build something from an old frame, you/anyone can.

Typed in after a ride round town on a frame (and front mech - other bits into the spares bin) that cost me £30.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Wonderful post and pic gravity aided. Love the fact that you like it so much you have given it spare different purpose wheels. Cycling can still be so simple can't it if you don't let the bullshitters/marketeers seduce you? Pedal on.
I think this bicycle pretty much hung in someone's garage since it was bought. It was in good shape for a 20 year old bike when I bought it. I try not to miss the church sales that are so large they have to be held in a fairground building.

Top Bottom