Tourer/utility bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
Bought this Specialize hardrock mtn bike awhile age but decided to convert it to a tourer.The bike cost£10,gave it a clean a service and a new bb
DSCF2321.JPG
total cost so far £170

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Looks very nice well done

StuartG

slower but further
Yep, anything that can hold two wheels in place and pedals that function is a bike. Its amazing how precious some can get with carbon & 33 gears when you can go continental touring on a 3 speed (my greatest ever expedition).

My next bike will probably cost more than £1,700 but will I get more pleasure from it than your £170? There is real and a different pleasure in enjoying a bargain. If only I was competent enough and had the time to bring one back to life. Chapeau!

KneesUp

Guru
Yep, anything that can hold two wheels in place and pedals that function is a bike. Its amazing how precious some can get with carbon & 33 gears when you can go continental touring on a 3 speed (my greatest ever expedition).

My next bike will probably cost more than £1,700 but will I get more pleasure from it than your £170? There is real and a different pleasure in enjoying a bargain. If only I was competent enough and had the time to bring one back to life. Chapeau!
Good post. Can I be so bold as to ask what value you think you will get from your £1,700 bike, given your comments?

StuartG

slower but further
Good post. Can I be so bold as to ask what value you think you will get from your £1,700 bike, given your comments?
My current proper bike is a Condor Fratello which is also great for touring but has the impediment of mudguards, racks and stuff when going on day rides with folks half my age, are a bit too fit and like hills (which true tourers avoid like the plague). I'm too lazy to keep stripping it down and putting stuff back and suffering the consequences of something not quite being tightened (or overtightened) enough.

So a stripped down light sooty bike that will also take 20 years off my riding age is worth a real lot of money to me. Its called literally keeping up with the pack and being able to still walk the next day.

fullcycle

Looks good and a great bargain :smile: not much money spent on modifying it either :notworthy:

Top Bottom