Tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Three years ago I built a touring bike starting with a 1994 steel Marin. Just about everything has been changed and it is now very comfortable and strong with wheels I have built myself, drop bars and v brakes.

Having too much time I have started to think about buying a new Spa Elan.

My question is what difference will I feel? Will I be faster, more comfortable, or is this plan just coming out of boredom?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
If it does what you want, is comfy why change?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Three years ago I built a touring bike starting with a 1994 steel Marin. Just about everything has been changed and it is now very comfortable and strong with wheels I have built myself, drop bars and v brakes.

View attachment 590628

Having too much time I have started to think about buying a new Spa Elan.

My question is what difference will I feel? Will I be faster, more comfortable, or is this plan just coming out of boredom?
If you can get to Harrogate, they're very good about giving you a test ride. And that's how I ended up with a ti Spa Elan....

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think as cycle enthusiasts we are all acquisitive and sometimes we buy for the sake of having a new toy, which is very satisfying for a while but the novelty soon wears off. That bike looks like it will take you to the ends of the earth and Im sure get pleasure from it because like Sinatra you did it ‘your way’.
Buy a Spa but I don’t think you’ll get the same satisfaction from it.

If you're happy with your bike take the actual cash you would spend on another, open a savings account and lodge it, or set up a standing order every month. "All Uphill's Downhill Tour Fund".

Then sit back and let the ideas flow.
It could be a luxury local trip, somewhere further afield, somewhere foreign. If time is an issue could that cash buy you some unpaid extra time off work?

Nothing against Spa as I believe they make good bikes, but I can imagine little worse than splashing out a load of dosh and then asking myself why?
Or that may just be me.

(On a side note, the only way I could imagine test riding a touring bike is fully loaded - do they allow that?)

Also, don't underestimate the comfort of knowing a bike you have built up yourself. A squeak on a bike you don't know is a more worrying prospect far from home.

Finally, having the "perfect" touring bike is no guarantee that people will actually go on tour. I've seen it with my own eyes. It's not what's under your ass that counts.
If Covid has taught me anything it's about the importance of seizing our chances when they come.

And yes, that's a lovely looking bike - you should be proud.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Unless the frame is lacking in some way,I don't see there's much to be gained. Being a DIY build, all the parts on it have already been selected on the basis of personal choice. Frame aside, it's already a custom build. It doesn't look to have any modern crap engineering on it, being steel and having a quill headset, so it should be as reliable as a bike can be. If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, you could consider a Rohloff hub gear instead of running derailleurs, other than that I don't see much room for improvement.

Top Bottom