Tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Not so many rear carrier battery lights, but there's a few here:

A Tubus rack with one of these bolted it to it would sit well on the OP's bike, given the decent job he's made of the rest of it.

I'm tempted to say his existing rack is the one thing that lets the build down a little.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/rack-fitting-lights
Thanks for that. I'll get on line this evening and order a decent rack.

I have a lovely pair of Carradice panniers, so I'm sorted in that area.^_^

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Looks very smart, one question what are the brake levers, as generally drop bar levers don't play well with v-brakes, as the pull ratio is designed for calipers or canti's. have you found some way around that or are they "mini-V's" just run with a very tight clearance?
They are Tektro rl520 brake levers which work perfectly with the v brakes. I think they are the only widely available drop bar levers designed for v brakes. The braking is at least as good as my TRP discs on my other bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for that. I'll get on line this evening and order a decent rack.

I have a lovely pair of Carradice panniers, so I'm sorted in that area.^_^

You may know, but some racks are very narrow, making them pannier only.

If you want the option to continue using your trunk bag, you need a rack with a decent platform.

Looks like that's 'Cargo' in Tubus-speak, although there may be other models.

As @Blue Hills mentioned earlier, this Tubus, apart from being better constructed, has three legs each side, making it capable of carrying big loads without wobble or failure.

There's a small hole in the fillet between the legs at the bottom which is designed to serve as an eye for a hooked bungee cord.

Who'd have though a few bits of tube welded together could be so interesting?

https://www.condorcycles.com/produc...piry=1629803593&source=webgains&siteid=187205

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They are Tektro rl520 brake levers which work perfectly with the v brakes. I think they are the only widely available drop bar levers designed for v brakes. The braking is at least as good as my TRP discs on my other bike.
Ah-ha, direct pull levers for drops, hence the bar-end shifters - make sense, and probably actually not that uncommon on tourers

by the by @All uphill on racks, main things to decide are I think whether you want the twin level attachment rails or not, size of top platform (Tubus ones do vary), how you want the rack to be fashioned at the front - two prongs or a loop - loop has advantages in my view for fastening stuff on.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think Prince wrote a song about that...
I kept thinking

"Let's twist again like we did last summer "
Shows my age.

Landsurfer

Veteran
So often, especially with access to a “Ride to Work” , the decision to buy new misses out what bits you have amassed in the shed !!

And this it .....

Raleigh Record Ace 24.5” frame.
Wheels .. Decathlon 32 spoke with 28mm puncture resist road tyres ..new .. the tyres that is, the wheels have done <500 miles.
Seat .. alloy / carbon composite with Selle “MAN” saddle. New.
Chainset ... Alloy / Silver Sugino double with a single 38 tooth, new Stronglight alloy ring without ramps or pins.
Bottom bracket .. New ...
Brakes ..Wiennman 620.
Bars and stem .. SR, new black tape fitted.
Chain .. 9 speed, new.
Cassette .. 11 - 40, new. The SRAM derailleur is set up to use 8 speed 12-40.
Derailleur .. SRAM, new.
Gear lever .. Shimano single, new.
Brake levers .. generic Tektro, new.
Cables .. new.

Last edited:

Shack

I have my trusty Rayleigh Royal and it does all I want and more. Every now and then I look at the Genesis mega buck tourer and think I would love that. But at the end of the day it doesn't do anything my Rayleigh does.
I had a Genesis Tour de Fer for about 2 weeks and then moved it on much preferring my 80's Raleigh Granada (although the dyno and brifters and disk brakes were nice additions the ride was sluggish and lacklustre)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
well that I didn't know - always assumed it was some engineering trick - I'd never use a bungee though - far better ways of holding junk onto a rack.

It was only brought home to me by looking at a few German trekking bikes.

They come fully equipped, including in some cases a double bungee on the Tubus.

My Riese and Muller ebike has a bespoke carrier, but it came with a lengthwise double bungee.

I've also never found bungees much use for fixing stuff, same as those spring loaded metal clasps you still see on some cheapo carriers.

Top Bottom