Touring Bike or adapting hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My first tour was an impromptu 3-day trip from Glasgow to Inverness on a hardtail mountain bike, with a backpack. No cycling clothes. I just went for what was planned to be a short ride and kept going. Amazing adventure, but I don't recommend, as I didn't have cycle specific clothing, and after 3 days of sweat and friction... :cry:

My second tour was John O'Groats to Lands End, on the same MTB as the first, but with some cycling clothes (no seam), road tyres, the suspension locked, a pannier rack and a bar bag.

My last tour was on a carbon fibre road bike with a backpack, from tail to tip in the Outer Hebrides. (I've done two other tours in this configuration but it's significantly less comfortable than having panniers. On my last Outer Hebridean trip I left the backpack in the hostel while I did the northern loop from Stornoway and was soooooo glad to be rid of it)

Almost all of my tours have been done on different bikes, tbf.

There was also this tour on a converted gravel bike, I specced it with an open ended trip around Europe in mind with likely a fair bit of off-roading and as an audax bike when I came back. It was prepared for everything. Except theft, evidently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom