Touring Bike or adapting hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many Europeans seem to regard what we call hybrids as the ideal touring bike, and what we call touring bikes as a bit odd.

I'm not saying they're right or wrong - just that this seems clear evidence that hybrids can be fine for touring.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Many Europeans seem to regard what we call hybrids as the ideal touring bike, and what we call touring bikes as a bit odd.

I'm not saying they're right or wrong - just that this seems clear evidence that hybrids can be fine for touring.

Well I'm European, and I regard my hybrid as an ideal touring bike. :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Though why you need to take that over-engineered cross braced steel balustrade around with you everywhere puzzles me Muddy.

I know.

I keep meaning to fit a kickstand, but never get round to it..

You get used to hefting the balustrade across yr shoulders eventually.

And it does look nice in the photos right :okay:

OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

CC, have a look at the Ridgeback for sale from a fellow Cycling UKJ NE member on sale for offers over £500... that would be perfect if the frame size is right for you.
That bike is lovely. I’ve taken the sound advice here to actually try touring before I buy a new bike, as I have a garage full of boxing stuff that is testament to my fickle mind! Beautiful bike though.

OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

Getting quite excited about this reading other folk’s experiences. I’ve decided to take it one day - tour - at a time. Use (mainly) what I’ve got, then get what I need based on what I find out. I’ve never thought like that before:laugh:

I’ve put the stock bars back on the hybrid, mudguards and pannier rack. I’ve got a pannier so think I may invest in a decathlon pannier to balance things a bit and 2 panniers should more than suffice! Probably need a new seat but might try the stock one out on a tour then buy a new one if it doesn’t work out.

So far so good!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think the mistake you are making is thinking that a touring bike is a specific design and that neither of your bikes can be used. For road touring pretty much any bike will do.

My first tour was just a 2 day tour, rode from Lufbra to Wath Upon Dearne, about 70 miles, and then rode back the next day.

I learnt that I didn't need anywhere near what I took for the ride, that 70 miles was too much for me personally for a comfortable easy day (albeit nice enough to do) and that your tolerance for alcohol is much lower after a long ride.

So the OP's plan for a 2-3 day tour is great. Make sure its not too much of a stretch for you.

Other things I've learnt (as someone who likes SPD shoes) is to buy some shoes that look like normal off the bike shoes. This means you don't need to pack a 2nd pair of shoes!

All uphill

Still rolling along
My first tour was just a 2 day tour, rode from Lufbra to Wath Upon Dearne, about 70 miles, and then rode back the next day.

I learnt that I didn't need anywhere near what I took for the ride, that 70 miles was too much for me personally for a comfortable easy day (albeit nice enough to do) and that your tolerance for alcohol is much lower after a long ride.

So the OP's plan for a 2-3 day tour is great. Make sure its not too much of a stretch for you.

Other things I've learnt (as someone who likes SPD shoes) is to buy some shoes that look like normal off the bike shoes. This means you don't need to pack a 2nd pair of shoes!
I'd echo this. On my first short tour I set myself a goal of 60 miles per day. Wrong! That was too far for me to allow enjoying the scenery, cafes and people along the way on unfamiliar trails.

Reducing the mileage to 50 a day left much more time for pleasure and relaxation.

The idea about getting a train out and then cycling home is a favourite of mine, too.

Whatever you do remember to enjoy it!

Top Bottom