Touring Bike or Adventure/Gravel Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

headcoat

Über Member
I am looking for a new commuter bike and general use bike, mainly for towpaths, unsurfaced roads, cycle paths etc. I was leaning towards the Trek 520 Touring but then discovered the Adventure Bikes.

Anyone have much experience of these? I won't be carrying loads, just clothes for the week, although there is a the possibility of the a tour with tent etc. Most days my ride will be around 20 miles in total, although occasional longer 50 miles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
The Genesis Croix de fer is a popular do it all choice

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
For some reason I have always had a hankering for one of THESE which might fit the bill. Have never seen one in the flesh, sat on or ridden one, so have no idea how it rides but on paper it looks like a sensible winner for regular duties and not something you have to be too precious about. It used to come with Shimano Tiagra. I'm not sure how PlanetX work but I think they may have a custom build option if you wanted to specify Tiagra or 105.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I was leaning towards the Trek 520 Touring but then discovered the Adventure Bikes.

On the Trek website, they list "adventure & touring bikes" as a single category, which I think is about right - there isn't really much distinction, since modern touring bikes are designed to be a bit more versatile and be equally capable on road or trail.

If there is a difference, it's that some of the more road-oriented 'touring' bikes might not have clearance for the fatter tyres (40c or more) that are popular on 'adventure' bikes.

Another difference is that adventure bikes tend not to come with racks and mudguards, but modern bikepacking kit is good - you don't need a rack to fit it to the bike.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What about a cyclocross? More comfortable geometry

A bike designed for short, hard races on twisty circuits is not going to be more comfortable than a bike designed for long days on the road. Another disadvantage to a CX bike is the lack of mounts for mudguards and racks (unless you're talking about one of those ersatz CX bikes that aren't really CX bikes).

put 32 or 35 tyres on them for 'off road' riding.

The OP's Trek 520 comes with 32c tyres as standard.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Another difference is that adventure bikes tend not to come with racks and mudguards, but modern bikepacking kit is good - you don't need a rack to fit it to the bike.
A bike is a heck of a lot more versatile with a rack, though, even if it's only a lightweight rack. How easily do tents fit in bikepacking kit? I think I've only seen micro tents carried without a rack.

Unless I knew I wanted to do trails trickier than typical stone/gravel roads, or was aiming for stretching speeds or distances, I'd go for a tourer every time.

A bike designed for short, hard races on twisty circuits is not going to be more comfortable than a bike designed for long days on the road. Another disadvantage to a CX bike is the lack of mounts for mudguards and racks (unless you're talking about one of those ersatz CX bikes that aren't really CX bikes).

The OP's Trek 520 comes with 32c tyres as standard.

I did 330+km one day last summer on my CX. Maybe it wasn't as comfortable as an out-and-out touring bike, but I had no problems with it at all.

Mudguards I never bother with (each to their own, though).

Again, with regard to tyres, each to their own. A variety of reasons to consider: terrain, confidence on 'thinner' tyres, skills at handling (heavily) loaded bike at speed, weather, road surface etc.

OP
OP
headcoat

headcoat

Über Member
Thanks for the input, I might go for the Trek which has been my choice from the start. Getting it from Evans so can try it for 30days and see how it goes.

Devon hills

Regular
I am looking for a new commuter bike and general use bike, mainly for towpaths, unsurfaced roads, cycle paths etc. I was leaning towards the Trek 520 Touring but then discovered the Adventure Bikes.

Anyone have much experience of these? I won't be carrying loads, just clothes for the week, although there is a the possibility of the a tour with tent etc. Most days my ride will be around 20 miles in total, although occasional longer 50 miles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Any thoughts?

Thanks
I've being checking out a Focus Paralane for similar usage you are describing. Had a couple of test rides, very impressed, they have about 8 different specs, check them out.
I might take the plunge this weekend, N+2!

Top Bottom