Touring Bike vs. Rigid MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been tossing around the idea of purchasing a Trek 520 or Trek 920. I like the components on both and I want to have one all purpose bike. My bike is my main form of transportation, so I'll take this bike everywhere. I like the fact that I can load front and rear panniers with gear and have the proper gearing/braking for the job. However, my quandary is this: should I purchase a new touring bike or re-purpose my old Trek 4300 MTB? My 4300 has a rear pannier rack and the front (rigid) fork is set-up to mount a front rack. Therefore, I can easily add front and rear bags to the bike. The three main draw backs to the Trek 4300 is 1.) 26" wheels 2.) 1 x 9 drive train and 3.) rim brakes. Am I being overly picky or is there value to purchasing a touring/adventure specific bike?

Thank you for your input.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nah, convert it to 3x9 with a Deore crank/front mech and put some better quality wheels on. :bicycle:

12boy

Guru
There are plenty of excellent tires for 26. See Compass tires for example. The wheelbase of the 920 is between 107 and 110 cm depending on frame size, and is a low trail bike. This gives you a smoother ride and more neutral handling with a front load. On the other end of the scale a real track bike will have high trail and short wheel base, making it handle more nimbly and accelerate faster. Even more so, my minivelo is 93.5 cm, about 6 inches shorter, with 20 inch wheels. It is very twitchy but ideal for threading in and out of traffic. I couldn't find the wheel base and trail on the trek 5300 but if you measure it you can get an idea of how it stacks up to a touring bike. One of my strategies when I owned just one bike was to have more than one wheelset for the bike, set up with different gearing and tires. For the price of the bike you can buy a lot of wheels. Snowy? pop on some studded tires with lower gearing. Cruising around on dry streets, some light slick types. Doing a little unpaved riding, some cyclocross. The same bike with purpose suited high quality tires can be surprisingly good at a lot of things. The current trend to gravel grinders illustrates the value of a longer wheelbase bike which can carry some weight and will fit fairly large tires.

OP
OP
B

Bike_Peanut

There are plenty of excellent tires for 26. See Compass tires for example. The wheelbase of the 920 is between 107 and 110 cm depending on frame size, and is a low trail bike. This gives you a smoother ride and more neutral handling with a front load. On the other end of the scale a real track bike will have high trail and short wheel base, making it handle more nimbly and accelerate faster. Even more so, my minivelo is 93.5 cm, about 6 inches shorter, with 20 inch wheels. It is very twitchy but ideal for threading in and out of traffic. I couldn't find the wheel base and trail on the trek 5300 but if you measure it you can get an idea of how it stacks up to a touring bike. One of my strategies when I owned just one bike was to have more than one wheelset for the bike, set up with different gearing and tires. For the price of the bike you can buy a lot of wheels. Snowy? pop on some studded tires with lower gearing. Cruising around on dry streets, some light slick types. Doing a little unpaved riding, some cyclocross. The same bike with purpose suited high quality tires can be surprisingly good at a lot of things. The current trend to gravel grinders illustrates the value of a longer wheelbase bike which can carry some weight and will fit fairly large tires.

This is excellent advice; thank you for your time and expertise. I agree that $2,099.99 buys a lot of tires!

Top Bottom