Touring/bikepacking with a little human

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm hoping to go on a bit of a touring/bikepacking trip with my son next summer. He'll be about 18/19 months old by then, and will be towed around in a Burley D'lite X trailer. My hope is to have my wife drop the two of us in Frome, we'll head towards Bradford-on-Avon (she'll head off on a spa weekend), double back through Bath, Keynsham (hopefully Avon Valley Wildlife Park has their ludicrously priced camping again), before heading home to the other side of Bristol over the course of 4 or 5 days. I've gone bikepacking several times on my own, but never with a little person. Any tips/tricks I should be aware of? Anything I need to take into consideration? Any suggestions on a 2 person tent and a sleeping bag for the little man?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Can't advise but sounds like top-shelf dadding tbh.

Good luck :smile:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Deuter make some great little sleeping bags, along with Vaude as well. Both makes have extensions on the bottom that can be zipped away if not needed and vice versa. We've used both makes with our kids and there nice and warm as well. I'm not sure about there availability in the UK, but hopefully somewhere may stock them.

Tent wise, you could always put them in the tent and you could bivy outside in a bivy bag?

Don't forgot a sleeping mat as well, you could just use a cheap foam mat or you could look in Decathlon for a inflatable one. Our kids have been using our old thermarests when we camp, not that my lad stays on it for long, he's a real fidget in his sleep!

Even though they're in a trailer, try to break the day up with lots of stops for snacks/play etc. Take a few books, small toys etc. Something they can do in the trailer to keep them occupied as well.

Best of luck and have fun.

Sallar55

Veteran
Some of French cyclists are quite adventurous when going cyclotouring with kids. Met a couple on tandem with a little girl in a trailer going up the the north side of the Galibier. Have a pic somewhere.

I have no real advice to offer but wanted to offer my best wishes. What an adventure!!

I have come across people touring with kids before, but none as young as you're suggesting.

YouTube could be your friend - I know of one Dutch avid tourer who has now started doing short trips with her little one.

Also CrazyGuyOnABike has a very useful search function to look for similar.

I hope the two of you have a great time and I, for one, would love to hear how it goes.

Have fun!

Top Bottom