Touring by Trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just got back after 4 weeks touring in France on my ICE Q 26. I rode with two pals, both on DF's. I was curious to know what touring by trike would be like and how it would stand up against normal DF's. Prior to leaving I substituted the Marathon Racers with ordinary marathons on the front and a city jet on the back (a much underrated tyre) We travelled by bike bus and started in Calais went along the coast to Le Havre and finished in Biarritz with a diversion down the Canal du Garonne via Bordeaux. Did 1050 miles in total. We carried full camping gear. I used a pair of Ortlieb classic panniers and Radical 'pods'.

In the hilly north the trike was slower on the hills - although it felt relatively 'easy' in that only my legs hurt. I noticed I did not get out of breath or feel I couldn't continue. Never had to stop and get off (unlike the DF's!!). Handling even with the load was very good. Stable and confidence inspiring downhill which was fast! As the terrain flattened I was able to stay with the DF's most of the time. On the one wet and windy day the DF's couldn't match the trike at all. The flat stages were great. Able to cruise along with no great effort. At the end my knees were fine and I hadn't suffered a single ache other than in my legs.

Trike was utterly reliable. The French responded with amused delight - I must be on a thousand video clips by now! Not one incident on the road and we did use one or two very busy roads.

My conclusion? - an excellent touring platform, possibly the best of any type of bike. The one reservation is that in company with DF's in hilly country you lose more on the ascent than you make up on the descent. We never ended more than a couple of minutes apart though.

Tyres were great showing only light wear.

I'll be doing that again!:becool:

3tyretrackterry

thats just what i wanted to hear i am hoping to do a couple of short tours on my trike and you have confirmed alot of what i suspected thank you

Arch

Married to Night Train
swscotland bentrider said:
Trike was utterly reliable. The French responded with amused delight - I must be on a thousand video clips by now! Not one incident on the road and we did use one or two very busy roads.

Next time, try it in a group of 8* trikes.... Then you'll see amused delight! And applause, shouts of 'Allez!', 'Chapeau!' etc.

Try riding past a school at playtime....:biggrin:

Our first night, we were in a nice farmhouse Chambre d'Hote (B and :biggrin:. We arrived, and lined up on the gravel forecourt, and our leader rang the bell. The face of Madame when she came out and saw us was brilliant. I've never seen such a literal rendition of 'jaw dropping'.:blush:

*7 on the way back - our hosts swapped their single trikes for their Trice Tandem Trike, about 12 feet of it. You think a single trike gets attention....

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Arch said:
Next time, try it in a group of 8* trikes.... Then you'll see amused delight! And applause, shouts of 'Allez!', 'Chapeau!' etc.

Try riding past a school at playtime....:rain:

Our first night, we were in a nice farmhouse Chambre d'Hote (B and :sun:. We arrived, and lined up on the gravel forecourt, and our leader rang the bell. The face of Madame when she came out and saw us was brilliant. I've never seen such a literal rendition of 'jaw dropping'.:becool:

*7 on the way back - our hosts swapped their single trikes for their Trice Tandem Trike, about 12 feet of it. You think a single trike gets attention....
This thread is useless without ..... PHOTOS :biggrin:

I SO-O want to see Madame's expression :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
scoosh said:
This thread is useless without ..... PHOTOS ;)

I SO-O want to see Madame's expression :biggrin:

Alas, I didn't get a pic of her expression. I will be writing it all up on Crazy Guy, and will include a few snaps (out of the 715 I took!).

This is the sight that greeted her though:

France2010050.jpg

Top Bottom