Touring Cyclist Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
Thanks for the very balanced post ... to answer your last point first:

We have been amazed by the response since TCC was announced just 7 days ago - there will be a brief update published at the end of today, Friday 19 February 2016 that will also contain the comments that were made in the "I'm interested" responses (it's a long list!)

The initial launch was deliberately very open in terms of detail and what TCC was likely to be about because we wanted those with an interest to tell us what they thought and would like to see - rather than a prescriptive "This is what you'll get" . . . which is perhaps the root of the reasoning for the initiative.

You mention needing to "read between the lines" ...... most people that have responded did do so - being aware of the ongoing discussions on the CTC Forum (stemming back quite a few years) and the Facebook page (Where should CTC be going?) established over a year ago ... we gave the link to that page. For us to have come out with the TCC idea based on "CTC's going down the pan, here's a better model" would have not been right or in the spirit of what's envisaged, nor did we want to engage in virulent discussion with lots of pointless Forum posts.

We hope that what we have done so far and the obvious traction the project has from the interest to date goes forward.

.... and to cyclists with an interest in touring please do add your voice to the TCC - through the "I'm interested" or (as from today) the "MY ideas" forms - and join the Forum as well.

Rob (and Dennis)

jay clock

Massive member
For us to have come out with the TCC idea based on "CTC's going down the pan, here's a better model" would have not been right or in the spirit of what's envisaged,
Rob (and Dennis)
but to me it looks exactly like that is what you HAVE come up with. Even the name sounds pretty similar. Not a problem in either case in my view, but you do seem to angling for a newer and better CTC

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
but to me it looks exactly like that is what you HAVE come up with. Even the name sounds pretty similar. Not a problem in either case in my view, but you do seem to angling for a newer and better CTC

The point being made was that SAYING OUT LOUD that "CTC's going down the pan, here's a better model" in the launch messages would not have been right and potentially counter-productive - but the reasoning is just that. TCC isn't looking for a fight, just to create a solution that people want.

And for the name .... TCC says it all [the new name and logo for the other organisation* which appeared last night is a complete departure . . . ]

* see the other forum for details and an image from the trade mark registration service.

Rob

OT, but has me in mind the Popular Front of Judea!
yes, looking at from outside as one who is not aware of all the politics benhind this that name looks terrible, confusing, and a rather petulant "up yours". I would have thought it possible to come up with a name that conveyed what the initiative was about without being such a clear scrabbling of letters.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh, is it changing its name?
GB50110000003150027.jpg

And do these colours remind you of anything?
GB50120000003150027.jpg

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Well I've registered an interest and joined the forums. Look forward to seeing what comes out of it. I'm not a tourist as such but feel the CTC has moved in the wrong direction

I've done just that.

I'm new to touring and so far it's been only touring for the day but I'm planning to change that this summer.

A bunch of touring cyclist would have a wealth of knowledge that can be used to help each other, given the platform.

A very simple example.... I plotted a route from Bournemouth to Corfe Castle via some tracks I could see on the map, most of it was fine but one track was a dead end, and it had been for some time I think. If I could have a platform to enter my experience so the next person is not taken via that route. So basically, the club would need to create a database and store the location with the problem and use the information when the next person request a route that goes through ( assuming there will be a route plotting capability) the same track.

I can think of several ways, the members of the new touring club could help with their knowledge to create something that is worth paying a subscription and for the benefit of its members.

OT, but has me in mind the Popular Front of Judea!
Fb agrees with you (the audax group, at least)
Screenshot_2016-02-19-10-40-54.png

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
With regard to the name being similar to that of the CTC, what else could it really be called?
The founders are hoping it'll be a club yes? So that's a C for club.
It's being setup for cyclists, another C, who tour. There's your T.
No matter which way those 3 letters are scrambled, it's gonna be similar to CTC.
Could the actual name be changed? When's the last time someone was called a "bicyclist"? Could it be called an organization instead of club? Isn't the CTC now an organization? And look what happened there!
And what could touring possibly be swapped for? Trekking? Granted it still starts with a T.
BTO? Ugh.
No thanks. In registering my interest anyway. Good luck Rob.

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
With regard to the name being similar to that of the CTC, what else could it really be called?
The founders are hoping it'll be a club yes? So that's a C for club.
It's being setup for cyclists, another C, who tour. There's your T.
No matter which way those 3 letters are scrambled, it's gonna be similar to CTC.
Could the actual name be changed? When's the last time someone was called a "bicyclist"? Could it be called an organization instead of club? Isn't the CTC now an organization? And look what happened there!
And what could touring possibly be swapped for? Trekking? Granted it still starts with a T.
BTO? Ugh.
No thanks. In registering my interest anyway. Good luck Rob.

Thanks - we did think of the cyclingtouristsclub but we were looking at new approach - an honest and transparent description does rather restrict the name and therefore the acronym.

Rob

Top Bottom