Touring Cyclist Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
That's the thing, the Skyrides are about getting people out for a potter on their bikes, most people are there for exactly that, some people want to get involved in the sportier side of it. Like I said before, it's all about diplomacy, and neither putting off the social riders, or putting off the sportier riders. 'Inclusion' is the official B.C. line, that suits me.

I thought that the Skyrides initiative was in part to get people riding ... and then buying Sky cycle clothing and a subscription to Sky TV? [Having been on a couple of Skyrides ages ago I was inundated with email promos for the dreaded dustbin lid on the side of my house television system as well as the clothing]

Rob

I thought that the Skyrides initiative was in part to get people riding ... and then buying Sky cycle clothing and a subscription to Sky TV? [Having been on a couple of Skyrides ages ago I was inundated with email promos for the dreaded dustbin lid on the side of my house television system as well as the clothing]

Rob
Well Sky aren't involved for nothing, but they are going to be leaving at the end of this year, I've no idea who's taking over.

The local ride leaders for Breeze tried to make helmets compulsory, until it was pointed out that BC only insists on them in competitions. That's not the way to promote cycling as a non-sporting inclusive activity as far as I'm concerned.
The Skyride Locals have a helmets are advised, but not compulsory guide now. There was too much flack coming from all quarters, so they softened their line. It's particularly important in my area, due to the large Sikh community.

[Having been on a couple of Skyrides ages ago I was inundated with email promos for the dreaded dustbin lid on the side of my house television system as well as the clothing]
It pains me to defend Sky, but I signed up with a unique email address 2009 and have only had cycling related spam from them. I thus assume that either you missed ticking a box or the spam is from another source.

(That's not to say that Sky aren't evil spammers. I was at a meeting where we were told that if someone was halfway through buying Sky TV on the website, and had filled in their email address but then closed the page without checking the opt-out box, then their email address should be harvested for spam. It's not often you hear hissing and booing during a planning meeting!)

Ajax Bay

Guru
It pains me to defend Sky, but I signed up with a unique email address 2009 and have only had cycling related spam from them.
Is this a good thing? Is it an effective defence, painful or otherwise? Would you have expected a wider variety of SPAM, not just cycling related stuff sent to a 'unique' (whatever that means) e-address?

Is this a good thing? Is it an effective defence, painful or otherwise? Would you have expected a wider variety of SPAM, not just cycling related stuff sent to a 'unique' (whatever that means) e-address?

I spoke too glibly, I guess. The only mail I have received at the email address that I registered for skyride is skyride related.

skyride@<mydomain> is the unique email address I used. I always do this, so I always know where the spam comes from.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I spoke too glibly, I guess. The only mail I have received at the email address that I registered for skyride is skyride related.

skyride@<mydomain> is the unique email address I used. I always do this, so I always know where the spam comes from.
Same here, I get regular notifications (monthly) about events etc. but no SKY sales pitch. I wonder if this might change after they leave British Cycling though.

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
UPDATE at 1 June 2016

These are the key points - please go to UPDATES at http://www.touringcyclistclub.org.uk for more details:

Over 350 expressions of interest
Limited by Guarantee Company has been formed
Constitution, policies etc at advanced draft stage
Membership at a modest annual cost
Add-on personal insurance option negotiated
Funds from membership to meet the modest running costs
Touring Cyclist Club will be run entirely by unpaid volunteers.
Seeking “Regional Champions”

- things are taking a little longer than we had hoped, but all looks good . . .

Rob & Dennis
Founders, Touring Cyclist Club
http://www.touringcyclistclub.org.uk

martint235

Dog on a bike
I noticed it's now open to founder members so I am one.

I don't tour much, when I do I hope it's a resource of useful ideas and discussion. I'd rather it wasn't an organisation that told me how to think, behave or vote ala CTC/LCC

Good luck

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I noticed it's now open to founder members so I am one.

I don't tour much, when I do I hope it's a resource of useful ideas and discussion. I'd rather it wasn't an organisation that told me how to think, behave or vote ala CTC/LCC

Good luck
An organisation without policy (which is what you describe) is an organisation without power or influence.

martint235

Dog on a bike
An organisation without policy (which is what you describe) is an organisation without power or influence.
CTC/LCC are largely without power or influence regardless of how much they delude themselves. The people they pretend to represent see them as laughable and the people they seek to influence see them as irrelevant.

I'm fairly sure that policies can be formed without telling people how to think.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'd rather it wasn't an organisation that told me how to think, behave or vote ala CTC/LCC

CTC/LCC are largely without power or influence regardless of how much they delude themselves. The people they pretend to represent see them as laughable and the people they seek to influence see them as irrelevant.
I'm fairly sure that policies can be formed without telling people how to think.
It's unclear if you regard CTC as being too militant or too weak.

Top Bottom