Touring Cyclist Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
snip Maybe it'll become clear when there's some content on the website other than 'so has anyone got any ideas?' posts. snip .

The immediately preceding three or four of posts here and the Facebook page referred to make it all pretty clear .....

Rob

contadino

Veteran
...as mud (at least to me)

So is the website going to have travelogues? Routes? Campsite reviews? Product reviews?

Or is it just for minutes, rules, agendas, and committee mandates?

martint235

Dog on a bike
...as mud (at least to me)

So is the website going to have travelogues? Routes? Campsite reviews? Product reviews?

Or is it just for minutes, rules, agendas, and committee mandates?
Hopefully it'll turn into a club like the CTC should have been. We'll see. Hoping for a club that uses its membership to bargain collectively for change or for discounts. A club that facilitates the sharing of information etc, there may even be rides but that is less important to me.

What is incredibly important is that the club doesn't follow the route CTC and in particular LCC followed by having an agenda set by an elite few but then peddled as the thoughts of the majority. If that happens I'll be off.

contadino

Veteran
See, I don't know what the CTC is, or the LCC, or the 'elite few' or 'the majority' or even what 'changes' are being bargained for. None of that matters to me.

Nor do discounts. Specially when they come at the cost of a subscription fee (and the two never equate.) I prefer to buy gear 2nd hand anyway.

Being able to read about a route, where was good to camp/stay, what bike/gear to take, what time of year to go, which bits to detour.... That's what I'd like to read about. I get a bit of what I want to read about from here, more from YACF, CGOAB. That's why the Two Wheeled Touring site looks promising to me.

I'm unlikely to go back to that new, empty website. Sounds like it's irrelevant to me, pointless, and poorly thought out. YMMV.

martint235

Dog on a bike
See, I don't know what the CTC is, or the LCC, or the 'elite few' or 'the majority' or even what 'changes' are being bargained for. None of that matters to me.

Nor do discounts. Specially when they come at the cost of a subscription fee (and the two never equate.) I prefer to buy gear 2nd hand anyway.

Being able to read about a route, where was good to camp/stay, what bike/gear to take, what time of year to go, which bits to detour.... That's what I'd like to read about. I get a bit of what I want to read about from here, more from YACF, CGOAB. That's why the Two Wheeled Touring site looks promising to me.

I'm unlikely to go back to that new, empty website. Sounds like it's irrelevant to me, pointless, and poorly thought out. YMMV.
That new empty website is only empty because the originator is canvassing opinion on what people would want from a new club. This is your opportunity to do something positive rather than just pour negativity onto a guy doing his best to provide a resource that is useful. However it's entirely up to you. Get bits of what you want from a variety of places or help to build something that helps you or others.

contadino

Veteran
Which is exactly what Shaun was saying. The two are not in conflict, and there's not need to criticise the option that doesn't work for you.

I didn't say they were in conflict. The OP asked for feedback and I provided mine.

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
That new empty website is only empty because the originator is canvassing opinion on what people would want from a new club. This is your opportunity to do something positive rather than just pour negativity onto a guy doing his best to provide a resource that is useful. However it's entirely up to you. Get bits of what you want from a variety of places or help to build something that helps you or others.

Thank you for the post. That's exactly what Dennis and I are doing - the feedback we have had is 100% positive ... a few people have failed to grasp what it's all about (or failed to read the - limited for reasons described - details).

The Facebook page is NOT an integral part of the TCC ... it was established over a year ago - but there is some parallel thinking if you get beyond the politics and mud-slinging.

The next step is for us to ask the people that have already expressed an interest (hundreds of responses) and others to give us their top few ideas (as brief bullet points), for a small steering group to then assess the responses and refine THE PLAN.

By taking this approach we are, hopefully, going to go forward with what the market (i.e. cyclists with an interest in touring) wants - with no politics or baggage that's seemingly dragging another organisation into oblivion.

Expect to see the ability to provide YOUR IDEAS on the website in the next 3 or 4 days.

Rob

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thank you for the post. That's exactly what Dennis and I are doing - the feedback we have had is 100% positive ... a few people have failed to grasp what it's all about (or failed to read the - limited for reasons described - details).

The Facebook page is NOT an integral part of the TCC ... it was established over a year ago - but there is some parallel thinking if you get beyond the politics and mud-slinging.

The next step is for us to ask the people that have already expressed an interest (hundreds of responses) and others to give us their top few ideas (as brief bullet points), for a small steering group to then assess the responses and refine THE PLAN.

By taking this approach we are, hopefully, going to go forward with what the market (i.e. cyclists with an interest in touring) wants - with no politics or baggage that's seemingly dragging another organisation into oblivion.

Expect to see the ability to provide YOUR IDEAS on the website in the next 3 or 4 days.

Rob
I wish you all the luck. I have expressed an interest and will maintain an open mind although experience tells me that these things do eventually get dragged down by politicking etc. Let's hope that can be avoided.

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
I wish you all the luck. I have expressed an interest and will maintain an open mind although experience tells me that these things do eventually get dragged down by politicking etc. Let's hope that can be avoided.

You should read The Winged Wheel - the story of the first 100 years of CTC - today's scenario with CTC is, as they say, deja vu all over again:laugh:

Rob

A new resource for Touring Cyclists - a new website is being launched today. Early days in the thinking process but the plan is to create an online community for like-minded cycle tourists - not another Facebook but a website full of resources for a wide variety of touring and technical matters.

Have a look at http://www.touringcyclistclub.org.uk - the new Touring Cyclist Club website and help shape the direction it takes and, if you want, offer your assistance to run it. On the site you will be able to add your thoughts on the site's direction through the discussion Forum and I'm interested form links.

Together we can build a new resource and, if people want it, even a new Touring Cyclist Club.

Rob
Hi Rob

Have sent in the form. Glad that someone is doing this and also glad that expressions of interest are pouring in. There is a clear void and it needs to be filled. To be fair to Contadino, he did ask 3 times for clarity and was also puzzled by the empty website before he downloaded on you. There are many folks like him who do not have context and therefore cannot read between the lines. He probably assumed that it was a another "new resource". Could you provide some sort of progress comments on this initiative on this forum (hope Shaun doen't mind) as time goes by so that others would catch on and join as well.

Top Bottom