Touring Frames?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Musing on using some spare bits to build up a bike.

I want something different to the SCR2 (my "fast" (ha!) bike).

I was mulling on a cyclocross bike, as a replacement for my Hybrid (which is now Mrs. Monkey's bike). I'm starting to think that what I actually want is a tourer though - I want a do-it all (ish) bike, capable of taking 28-32mm tyres, guards and a rack, and being up to carrying me and a bit of cargo. (The plus, of course, is that if Mrs. Monkey's first tour is a success, it can be used for it's stated purpose too).

In the frame I have the Surly Long Haul Trucker (cheap, surly dealer is close by in Alsager, seems capable of anything I'd think to ask of it, but heavy, and I'd need to get someone to fit the headset for me). Also in the running is the Thorn Club Tour (slightly more expensive, but lighter than the Surly, seems to have pretty much the same braze ons, also comes with headset fitted (is that worth the extra £100 though?) also wouldn't be able to see one of these before hand, being as SJS is in Somerset)

If it doesn't end up being a "proper" tourer, the bike will be a load lugger (over short-ish distances) and commuter.

What do you reckon? Anything else I should look at?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have the thorn club tour and it is a lovely bike to ride plus you can buy it with long or short top tubes which aids in a better fitting

http://www.practicalcycles.com/userimages/procart6.htm

Yuba Mundo - way to go JtM! :blush:

Actually, I remember going on a tour of SJS - at a time when they had bought up the entire stock of Brookes saddles (circa 1998?) - and it was an interesting experience. Don't know if they still offer this tour, but I appreciate seeing plenty of good examples of tour set-ups when people roll out of London on the FNRttC...often a tandem there too - they seem such nice, solid bikes. Saw a Yuba ascend Ditchling Beacon too - chunky but excellent (no, not the rider silly - the bike! :smile:)

just jim

You could look at a Planet X Kaffenback, which is flavour of the month with me at the moment, despite the colour...

PpPete

Legendary Member
Now't better than a 531 frame for a tourer...
Comfortable, robust, not too heavy - very adapatable, with the right tyres will handle any terrain a cyclocross bike will do, 28 or 32 mm tyres for touring, even 25s for day rides & audax. Usually have all the braze-ons for carrying loads...

Oh yes and they look so much better than welded frames. IMHO that is....

jpembroke

just jim said:
You could look at a Planet X Kaffenback, which is flavour of the month with me at the moment, despite the colour...

Hardly a day goes by without me regretting the day I sold my original blue dragon Kaffenback frame with full carbon forks.....

....for £115!!!!

what was I thinking?????

Top frame. Fitted me like a glove and strong as an ox. I want another one.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
piedwagtail91 said:
funny you should say that. my son is selling an older 531 version of the world tour. he's only advertised locally as he wants the potential buyer to collect and get cash on pick up.we're close to Blackburn if anyone is nearby and interested
http://z10.invisionfree.com/NLRC/index.php?showtopic=427&st=0#entry2454483

apologies for hijacking your thread.
No apology necessary - that's a super price, but the frame's too small for me, sadly. Might be worth sticking in the classifieds here?

Top Bottom