Rear Derailleur for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon62

Hi,
I currently have a Shimano Alivio RD-400 9 speed, it is not working too well at the moment, so i am planning on upgrading.
So what would be a good choice?
I have a 44/32/22 Chain rings and a 12-36 cassette.
Advice welcomed!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My advice FWIW.

0. Check*
1. Replace cable. Check.
2. Replace cable outers. Check.
3. Replace chain and jockey wheels. Check.
4. Replace and/or realign gear hanger. Check.
5. Consider replacing derailleur.

*Check using https://www.parktool.com/en-int/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment

Might be worth specifying what exactly are your symptoms of "not working too well"

Dérailleur is probably the least likely source of whatever your issue is IME.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My advice FWIW.

0. Check*
1. Replace cable. Check.

*Check using https://www.parktool.com/en-int/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment

Might be worth specifying what exactly are your symptoms of "not working too well"

What he said ^^^
Wot they said ^^^.

I would just add, before replacing cable maybe clean and lube. Derailleurs rarely wear to the point of requiring replacement. Quality cables that are not frayed/kinked rarely need replacing.

Big John

Guru

We use a lot of Alivio stuff where I work as a volunteer. It's not top of the range, as you're aware, but it usually does the job pretty well. What makes you say it's not working too well? A number of things in the overall drive train can cause issues, even a tight link as I discovered the other week, so buying a new rear mech might be jumping the gun a bit. If you haven't got a hanger alignment tool your LBS might not charge much for a quick check and if it's properly aligned you can eliminate this from your 'check' list. They'll align it for you if it is out of line.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have ordered an alignment tool, and will keep you informed of the outcome.

No alignment tool required. A straight edge across the hanger with rim measurements taken at 90 degrees is all that is needed. I usually use an old spirit level as the straight edge.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No alignment tool required. A straight edge across the hanger with rim measurements taken at 90 degrees is all that is needed. I usually use an old spirit level as the straight edge.
That’s interesting. Could you elaborate a bit as I can’t quite work out the method?

My advice FWIW.

0. Check*
1. Replace cable. Check.

Agree, and Alivio RDs are pretty bombproof.

OP
OP
Jon62

Jon62

Well,it was none of the above, after putting the bike on the stand and rotating the pedal i noticed the cassette was wobbling, so out with the wheel and check the lock ring, that was not loose, so off with the cassette to find the spacer i had used was not the right thing for the job, quick trip to the local cycle shop and problem sorted.^_^

Top Bottom