Touring - Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
jpegs?

Coulthard got hoisted by that petard when he was promoting helmets for BHIT. Do as I say, not as I do eh?

Daily Wail - so it must be true!

Only nine months after a safety helmet saved James Cracknell’s life in a horrific bicycle accident, he has been spotted riding bareheaded.

Cracknell, 38, appeared without his cycle helmet near the west London home he shares with wife Beverley Turner and their three children.

article-0-0BB45ACF00000578-518_468x648.jpg

hubbike

I think there are some legitimate reasons you might consider not wearing a helmet.
1. in very cold weather it might be preferable to wear a woolly hat. staying warm might become more of an issue than getting knocked off. but I'm talking extremely cold weather.
2. in very hot weather it might be best to wear a sun hat. in Colombia grinding up mountain roads in the heat I found my helmet acted a bit like an insulating oven heating my head up...if the chances of getting sunburn/heat-stroke outweigh the chances of getting knocked off, then maybe it is sensible to swap for the sun hat.
3. if you have an awesome hair-do that's likely to be ruined by wearing a helmet.

tbtb

I'm maybe a bit sheltered but I'm always a wee bit shocked when I see someone buying the Daily Mail. It's just poisonous. Cracknell's back on his feet, back on the bike too, great news, you'd have thought. But the Daily Mail twists it into a Shame on Him story!

The OP should follow corshamjim's advice.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Do what makes you feel happy.

Use the magic coin trick. Heads you wear one, tails you don't. If you find yourself disapointed in the result, do the opposite. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as you're out on your bike and enjoying yourself.

Sam

I'm maybe a bit sheltered but I'm always a wee bit shocked when I see someone buying the Daily Mail. It's just poisonous. Cracknell's back on his feet, back on the bike too, great news, you'd have thought. But the Daily Mail twists it into a Shame on Him story!

Agree about the Daily Wail but Cracknell has been going round telling everyone that will listen "Look at what happened to me, you must wear a helmet". I know the DW's motives were different but it shows up the hypocrisy of the whole helmet affair. David Coultard did the same with BHIT and was then photographed cycling round without one.

I suspect the memory thing is a convenient excuse and that he probably realised he'd been snapped without so went back.

sabian92

Über Member
Wear one if you want, and don't if you don't. Nobody can tell you what to do with your head and let's be honest - if a car hits you, a helmet is not likely to save your brain from being damaged.

tbtb

Agree about the Daily Wail but Cracknell has been going round telling everyone that will listen...
He's not told me. I'd never heard of him. Seems to me, the Daily Mail is inviting us to take a judgemental poke at a brain injury victim for some minor hypocrisy. I just don't understand why people would pay money to read that, to feed that sort of angry but vacuous thought into their heads. It's just weird.

oldleggs

Über Member
that will be me then. I tripped out of the shower and was off work for a week.

Yes good point showers can be dangerous things getting in, and out. When on a golf tour in Devon a fellow golfer had the misfortune to fall out of the shower pulling down the shower curtain in the process. The shower being over a bath tub he managed to crack his head on the tiled floor.

When asked had the 7 pints of Doombar he had drunk contribute to his downfall? No was his reply it was the slippery bath tub.

A bit ot; we had a large tree taken down in our garden last week and the guy wielding the FO big chainsaw's sole PPE consisted of a straw trilby. He's a friend of my dad and at 68 has obviously decided that as he's managed not to kill himself so far he's not going to start dressing up like a riot coppper now.

hotmetal

When asked had the 7 pints of Doombar he had drunk contribute to his downfall? No was his reply it was the slippery bath tub.

Ha! Funny that. I knew someone who went on a scooter rally and came back properly sick. When asked if the umpteen pints of cheap'n'nasty lager might have had anything to do with it, he said no, it was a dodgy burger!

Agree with tbtb about the Daily Hatemail.

And back on topic, I almost always wear a helmet ever since I met a guy at work whose son was brain-damaged for life in a cycling accident with no lid. Who knows if wearing one would have saved him? No-one can say for sure but being a bit hot is a small price to pay. However, we are all (well, mostly) adults and I'm glad we're still allowed to decide this one for ourselves.

He's not told me. I'd never heard of him.

Well he's been on BBC Breakfast, on the One Show and quite a few other mass media outlets peddling the you must wear a helmet line. To be honest I think its more that he is being used by the helmet lobby than him personally.

andym

Über Member
Wear one if you want, and don't if you don't. Nobody can tell you what to do with your head and let's be honest - if a car hits you, a helmet is not likely to save your brain from being damaged.

Hmm I seem to remember that the doctors who actually have to deal with cyclists involved in road accidents took a different view. (Although I should point out that the BMA general council also took the view that making helmets compulsory would have a negative effect overall).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom