Touring MTB the advantages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tothehills

I don’t share my tour photos. Not everything has to be shared online. My tours are done in radio silence, old school style, staying in the moment / experience.

liked - pity can only do one like.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Mtb advantages, away from the traffic the road less travelled. All new roads in Spain have a 2m+ strip for cyclist and many of them are almost traffic free during the day.

DSC_1721.JPG

DSC_1736.JPG

Last edited:

8mph

Veteran
IMG_20190208_150024.jpg

the Cove mtb in Rajasthan

Petrichorwheels

I don’t share my tour photos. Not everything has to be shared online. My tours are done in radio silence, old school style, staying in the moment / experience.

fair dos, though in earlier times would have suspected you of being a spy - lurking in woods to run a transmitter up a tree, if questioned plead the birdspotter/cycletourist cover and hoping that your smelly sandals would get you off.

People get too hung up on what they can tour on. I have toured on everything from a scooter to a Koga World Taveller. If its got wheels you can tour on.
Absolutely this.

I find it amusing reading pages here where people talk about the bikes they're going to use when there's people like Heinz Stucke:

https://www.facebook.com/heinzstucke

He did most of his touring on a 3 speed road bike. Still touring at 82. I believe he's graduated to a Brompton now.

I'm also with @Ming the Merciless - I did a lot of touring when I was younger and I'm glad I didn't feel the need to "record" it all. Too many people spend their lives in a little smartphone "bubble" these days.

8mph

Veteran
My 26er hardtail doesn't handle well with panniers so it's limited in that respect. What it can do is, pack down small for flights, take on any random route Maps.me churns out. It's good in hike-a-bike situation, great for getting around a busy city, carrying up steps, pushing through crowded streets, finding hotel rooms etc.

It can fit in the boot of a taxi, in a rickshaw, on the roof of a bus and I've often been allowed to keep it in a hotel room or balcony. Best of all, once the luggage is stashed it's a great bike to go exploring with.

Touring on flat terrain, it becomes truelly monotonous but perhaps it would suit some Spainish routes, I'm 20 miles from the Plymouth - Santander ferry.

Top Bottom