Touring MTB the advantages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

My 26er hardtail doesn't handle well with panniers so it's limited in that respect. What it can do is, pack down small for flights, take on any random route Maps.me churns out. It's good in hike-a-bike situation, great for getting around a busy city, carrying up steps, pushing through crowded streets, finding hotel rooms etc.

It can fit in the boot of a taxi, in a rickshaw, on the roof of a bus and I've often been allowed to keep it in a hotel room or balcony. Best of all, once the luggage is stashed it's a great bike to go exploring with.

Touring on flat terrain, it becomes truelly monotonous but perhaps it would suit some Spainish routes, I'm 20 miles from the Plymouth - Santander ferry.

all good - but if it has problems with panniers have you considered getting a different bike? or just frame? second hand old thing could be had for not a lot.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
My 26er hardtail doesn't handle well with panniers so it's limited in that respect. What it can do is, pack down small for flights, take on any random route Maps.me churns out. It's good in hike-a-bike situation, great for getting around a busy city, carrying up steps, pushing through crowded streets, finding hotel rooms etc.

It can fit in the boot of a taxi, in a rickshaw, on the roof of a bus and I've often been allowed to keep it in a hotel room or balcony. Best of all, once the luggage is stashed it's a great bike to go exploring with.

Touring on flat terrain, it becomes truelly monotonous but perhaps it would suit some Spainish routes, I'm 20 miles from the Plymouth - Santander ferry.
Let's see a picture of you bike and someone will give suggestions to fix the pannier problem.

8mph

Veteran
Let's see a picture of you bike and someone will give suggestions to fix the pannier problem.
IMG_20220616_092410.jpg

Save yourself the bother, it's not a problem and doesn't need fixing.

Now that's the sort of inventiveness that there ought to be more of.

I feel there is too much emphasis on new and shiny amongst tourers. You want something that blends in if you're going to be talking to people. Shiny stuff just gets scratched and has more hassle of ownership.

Petrichorwheels

Now that's the sort of inventiveness that there ought to be more of.

I feel there is too much emphasis on new and shiny amongst tourers. You want something that blends in if you're going to be talking to people. Shiny stuff just gets scratched and has more hassle of ownership.

agree - my exped bike/MTB based, got a very bad ding-scratch on the top bar - no idea at all how it happened - was rather miffed at the time as was almost new but now see as battle scars - it's a tool to take me to places and experiences - touched up very roughly with some vaguely matching hobby paint and am pretty sure is essentially structurally sound - not collapsed yet.
God help us if the glamping crowd discover cycle touring - already certain signs of it with "curated" "free-camping" spots.

8mph

Veteran
Perfect panniers for your touring setup. , 25 and 10 litre plastic containers on the bike in the middle. Home made and waterproof

View attachment 649289
Very nice, I like your seat cover too. What's the handling like with such a short wheelbased bike?

My set up is for S.India, so no need to carry much at all. After a few weeks riding, the two things I wanted most were, raised drop bars and a 46T chainring, rather than my 44t.

TheRidingkid

Nice photos but many photos with bike laid in the road

Top Bottom