Touring on a MTB frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
My first tours were on a 1990 Dawes MTB which as it was first generation MTB was ideally suited for conversion to a touring bike, I added a rack, mudguards, a speedo, bar ends, an decent saddle a good rack a second bottle holder, semi-slick tyres, Halfords panniers and away you go!

My wife still tours on a Trek Antelope MTB

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I used a Trek 930 for a Tourer , very light and nimble,with a high bottom bracket for less than optimum road conditions , and slicks . Sold it to a fellow who wanted it for Winter and off-road touring . Bought a full-on tourer (1987 Schwinn Passage) and I like it a lot better .

JC4LAB

Awkward aspects are 1.Nobbly tyres that cost you daily milage..so changee them to slick road tyres or a hybrid tyre.. 2The suspension when travelling by road can have you bouncing around....On some MTB you can however lock the suspension with the screw caps on top of the suspensoion arms.

Zenroad

Have you done it? How does it work compared to a road bike geometry ? Is it a good idea?

Yes, it is a good idea. Mountain bikes are great for touring as long as it's a bike that fits you properly and is in good shape and is strong enough to carry your load. I prefer mountain bikes. The degree of feeling vulnerable is much less. If your bike has no braze-ons for racks, check out Freeload racks. These New Zealanders have made braze-ons obsolete! Like Jimmy Buffet said: "So simple, it plum evaded me." Also lots of good tires (slicks, hybrids, whatever you fancy) out there for 26" rims.

jakegil

Yes, it is a good idea. Mountain bikes are great for touring as long as it's a bike that fits you properly and is in good shape and is strong enough to carry your load. I prefer mountain bikes. The degree of feeling vulnerable is much less. If your bike has no braze-ons for racks, check out Freeload racks. These New Zealanders have made braze-ons obsolete! Like Jimmy Buffet said: "So simple, it plum evaded me." Also lots of good tires (slicks, hybrids, whatever you fancy) out there for 26" rims.
Just wondered if you have those Freeload racks? If so how are they? Cheers

Zenroad

Just wondered if you have those Freeload racks? If so how are they? Cheers

Yes, Jakegil, I do. Fantastic. Love 'em. Those boys have seemingly reinvented the wheel. Check their website. http://www.freeload.co.nz/. I bought a set on Amazon, for less than typical retail. I also got the side frames, which another piece of sheer genius. These racks will accompany me to Japan on 2014.

jakegil

Yes, Jakegil, I do. Fantastic. Love 'em. Those boys have seemingly reinvented the wheel. Check their website. http://www.freeload.co.nz/. I bought a set on Amazon, for less than typical retail. I also got the side frames, which another piece of sheer genius. These racks will accompany me to Japan on 2014.

Thanks, i'll look out for some when my braze-ons sheer off!

Zenroad

Yes, Freeload was recently purchased by Thule, which is a testimony to how good their racks are (or are believed to be). I'm telling myself that the buy-out is a good thing, as Thule is way reputable, but sometimes buy-outs can go the other way. It can be the beginning of the end. For example, when Klein was bought by Trek. Freeload has been around only about a year and half. If you have a chance to see one of their racks in person, you'll see what quality stuff it is. Use one, and you'll be a believer. Their website contains some compelling evidence of how tough they are. Worth browsing and reading. I really like mine. I'm going to strap on a second rack (on the front) for the long haul in 2014.

Bodhbh

Guru
I don't think I'd use one of those Freeload racks on a dedicated tourer (i.e. would fit a conventional rack, or make one fit). They do look very handy for swapping around on bikes you might want to up the carrying capacity as and when on tho. The fact they don't care if they're used on the front or back, disc brakes or not, suspension or not etc.

DaveFY7

Über Member
I converted an orange P7 MTB into a tourer and find the ruggedness of the bike gives me a lot more offroad capability as well as more comfort. I much prefer it to my Dawes Ultra Galaxy and always turn to the P7 for my longer tours.

Top Bottom