Touring Rims - DT Swiss TK540 vs. Exal LX17 vs Mavic 719s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hi - I'm looking for some 36 hole (road) touring rims to replace my (now worn out, after almost 5 years of abuse) Rigida Sputnki rims. I found the latter too heavy and overkill for my needs (medium-weight road touring), so want something lighter, but still reasonably strong. I will be running with 32mm or 30/28mm tyres (Schwalbe Marathon Supremes or Continental Top Contacts, probably). Am considering one of DT Swiss TK540 (very nice, but expensive), Exal LX17 or Mavic 719

Any opinions on these or any other options I should be considering? Thanks

musa

Über Member
Maybe some tb14s

musa

Über Member
Yes, those. There fantastic and bombproof with a heavy spoke count 32 or 36 IIRC. these are likely to do the job and tbh there not expensive i think around 200 or less to be built
rims are 60 odd and 64 spokes at a £1
not sure what hubs you'd want

im ordering a pair for commute and training with if i dont opt for the h plus son archetypes

Tim Hall

I used to run Mavic 719 on the pink bike. They went on and on, until the rim wore out on the back one, and shortly before, the hub dynamo on the front went wonky. Not an exciting rim, but did the job. Riding was commute to work, longer weekends, including a fair amount of bridleways and Sustrans goodness. I'm well nourished at 92kg.

I've got Ambrosio Evolutions on there now, which seem a bit spanglier.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
In a good way?

in the best ways possible.

DrLex

merely the moocher
Has anyone any experience of the DT Swiss TK 540 rims? I've been recommended them by David Hunt (http://www.dcrwheels.co.uk/) who I may well be getting to build whichever wheel combo I go for...
I have them on my Pompetamine - not light, but then the rest of the bike isn't (Alfine 11) either. Bike is about three years old (I've owned it for 18m) and the wheels are like new*, despite poor roads, paths & kerbs. Previous owner confessed to minimal maintenance. No regrets.

*Disk brakes, so no rim wear.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
I have them on my Pompetamine - not light, but then the rest of the bike isn't (Alfine 11) either. Bike is about three years old (I've owned it for 18m) and the wheels are like new*, despite poor roads, paths & kerbs. Previous owner confessed to minimal maintenance. No regrets.

Thanks, sounds good - BTW would the DT Swiss TK 540 be okay with 32mm (or even 28mm) tyres, or be too wide? Thinking of going with 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes or 32mm Continental Top Contacts

BTW my current Rigida Sputniks are 690g each (1380g total), whereas the TK540s would be 545g each (1090g total), so I would still save 290g with the latter (on top of lighter tyres than currently...). The Exal LX17s come in at 575g so slightly heavier.

DrLex

merely the moocher
I've only ever had Schwalbe Kojaks (35mm) on them, so whilst I can't offer any experience of a narrower tyre, I doubt 32mm would be an issue. DT Swiss page quotes "Tire dimension 700x1"C - 700x2.35"C", which is a fair range, and takes in your 28mm choice.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Mavic, Mavic, Mavic! When building my own wheels I have only EVER used Mavic and have never been disappointed. My wheels don't have an easy ride but I have not managed to break one yet. IMO get the Mavic rims.

Top Bottom