Touring Rims - DT Swiss TK540 vs. Exal LX17 vs Mavic 719s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Wot Greg said. David Hunt really knows his stuff, as far as I can tell. Ianrauk has a pair from him and can't praise them enough.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
David is building me some wheels at the moment cant wait to get them :hyper:

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
I'd go with whatever David Hunt recommends and discuss rim/tyre width combo's with him before deciding.

He's recommending the DT Swiss TK 540s... though said the Exals LX17s would probably also be fine. I'm likely to go for the DT Swiss rims, though :-)

Just waiting to get my damaged Hopetech Pro3 hub back from Hope, then will post that and my Schmidt Son 28 Dynamo front hub to David for the build... My only concern is about turnaround time - I'm due to go cycle touring in the Czech Republic from 30 August, and also need to fit a new chain and cassette when I get the wheels back...

Also still dithering about which tyres to get, David is recommending 32mm Continental Top Contact tyres, though I'm also highly tempted by some (folding) 32mm Marathon Supremes, which I suspect will be faster, though possibly not as durable... Mind you anything will be any improvement on the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres I've had on recently, which weigh a ton, are an absolute pig to get on and off and just don't feel nice to ride. The 35mm Marathon XRs I had on before, whilst still on the heavy side, were so much nicer (but eventually wore out after 4 years of abuse), but they don't make them anymore, and I want something faster and lighter this time for road touring.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I like LX17s, having been using them for 3 years.
Easy to build with, the right width for the 28-38mm tyres that I'm likely to used, and with a much more visible wear indicator.
They also have the advantage of being a lot cheaper than the TK 540s (£18 vs £54).

I use Marathon Racer 35mm (nominally, actually more like 32mm). I did use 35mm Paselas, which were a very nice ride, but the sidewall got cut on a fairly modest bit of off=road.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sorry to thread hijack, but do the Mavic 719s have a wear indicator of any sort? I plumbed for the 119 recently due to not being able to source any of the 719 rims but still plan on having some made up.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
My last 719s did. A short slot machined on the inside of the rim, partway through. When the rim is worn sufficiently it appears as a hole in the braking surface, IYSWIM.

Ahh cheers! I've used Open Pros for years but the last set didnt have the little hole for some reason. I wondered if they'd changed the rims recently.

Top Bottom