Touring Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toroddf

I am afraid I respectfully have to disagree with you, Ticktockmy. 

For me, Leverburgh to Tarbert over Luskentyre and Harris Golf Club was spectacular and the highlight of the whole ride. Well, make that from Clachan na Luib to Tarbert. The Sound Of Harris ferry is the best ferry tour in Scotland. 

But let's agree to disagree about Leverburgh to Tarbert.   :biggrin:   A small disagreement......

peterm

Round the coast of BritainJust came in on the end of this thread.

Last year cycled the whole coast of Britain starting from Cornwall and this of course included Scotland. Have just about finished writing it up so have put link here as info may be useful to people going there this summer. Highly recommended if you have the time. Took me 85 days with 78 of those cycling 4600 miles.

Year before wife and I did a double end to end over all the highest bits I could find up the spine of England and that included the Orkneys -report of that is also on site.

My link

toroddf

Round the coast of BritainJust came in on the end of this thread.

Last year cycled the whole coast of Britain starting from Cornwall and this of course included Scotland. Have just about finished writing it up so have put link here as info may be useful to people going there this summer. Highly recommended if you have the time. Took me 85 days with 78 of those cycling 4600 miles.

Year before wife and I did a double end to end over all the highest bits I could find up the spine of England and that included the Orkneys -report of that is also on site.

My link

Excellent reports, Peterm. So excellent that I became so captured by them that I forgotten to thank you here after reading them last night. Sorry about that. 

You have clearly set a standard many of us, well at least myself, want to live up to when we become a bit more senior and wiser.

Keep up your good life and all the best from me.

fay144

A three good advices to help you a bit:

1. Boot's Chemist is selling a box of 12 travel sickness (Read: sea sickness) tablets for £ 2.49. That is a very good investment.

2. Check out if MV Clansman has returned to service before you leave. It is currently in repair and that is having a knock on effect on all ferries out of Oban and to Islay. Most critically, the Oban to Castlebay sailings.

3. Buy a torch. If you are planning to go to Castlebay, there is a bus shelter just opposite Kisimul Castle at the dockside (to the right when leaving the ferry) which you may use as an emergency shelter if it is dark and the ferry is late.

Good luck and don't forget to post your own tour report when back again from the tour.

Thanks for that. I'll definately need to look into that Oban to Castlebay sailing.

I am afraid I respectfully have to disagree with you, Ticktockmy.

For me, Leverburgh to Tarbert over Luskentyre and Harris Golf Club was spectacular and the highlight of the whole ride. Well, make that from Clachan na Luib to Tarbert. The Sound Of Harris ferry is the best ferry tour in Scotland.

But let's agree to disagree about Leverburgh to Tarbert. :biggrin: A small disagreement......

Ok I will let you have your Disagreement, Next time I will take the west Coast round the island, as I have been told it is a better route....but the Golden road had to be done. The First fruit Cafe by the Ferry port in Tarbert was great for breakfast, really fortfied me for the climb out of Tarbert over Cliseam, though I did not find it as hard as I had be lead to believe.

snorri

Legendary Member
Next time I will take the west Coast round the island, as I have been told it is a better route....but the Golden road had to be done.

It is not possible to say which is the better route.....beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. Each has its own attractions, the contrast between routes is quite amazing considering both are on the same small island.
You just have to do both.:smile:

peterm

Excellent reports, Peterm. So excellent that I became so captured by them that I forgotten to thank you here after reading them last night. Sorry about that. 

You have clearly set a standard many of us, well at least myself, want to live up to when we become a bit more senior and wiser.

Keep up your good life and all the best from me.

peterm

Thank you Toroddf. I must get down to finishing the last day and add a summary.

This cycling thing appeared out of nowhere and I can't stop. This year I'm just cycling around my local area and doing a few Audax rides.

Just been reading your blog. Last year I was burnt to death in Scotland. You seem to have had some real bad luck with the weather.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
All of Scotland is great, I couldn't say one area is better than another.
The Hebrides can get windy (although that does mean any bad weather doesn't linger). I remember going down a hill (on the way to Rhenegidale) and had to pedal to do about 11 mph into the wind,:sad: the road then did a U turn and it was like having a jet strapped to me as within a very short distance without pedalling I was doing 45 mph ! :ohmy:

Renard

How about an altenative south to north from the Mull of Galloway, Scotlands's most southerly point, to Dunnet head quite near John O Groats and Scotland's most northern point on the mainland.

peterm

Galloway to Dunnet is a stunning ride. I did it the other way round last year as part of a longer ride. Scenery superb with brilliant hills especially Applecross. Good hostels in great places to rest your head. Highly recommended. Lots of photos and details on my site.

petermaddern.weebly.com

toroddf

OK. It will be Leverburgh to Tarbert via the Golden Road next time, then. Just need to get a new bike and a new gale proof tent. 

That will be my third attempt on the Butt Of Lewis. That seems to be my own personal Mount Everest.   

Top Bottom