Touring Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
You can also get the train from Inverness to Achnasheen and it's an easy 50 from there to Gairloch and onwards. Did that a couple of years ago with the other half.

What everyone else says, though. Other than the midgies (they can't fly faster than 10mph, though, we tested), that part of the world is little short of perfect. I'd go to live there in a heartbeat if I could.

Don't play chicken with the sheep!

Sam

fimm

Veteran
PaulSB said:
A link would be good, thank you. I'd thought about the Skye bit and quite fancied the idea.

All these suggestions are great. I shall be doing some serious planning tonight and tomorrow.

Here you are:
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/view.php?b=318&t=28012
and
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/view.php?b=318&t=28044

(That website is a triathlon forum with a blogs section, so it isn't formatted like a usual blog. Hence also the rather detailed notes on training distances etc...)

I did Aberdeen to Braemer....Braemer to Perth...Perth to Edinburgh...Edinburgh to Osmotherly and Osmotherly to Newcastle in 1986....and a bit further...I eventually ended up in York and run out of money.

Just found the tour pictures and route from 1986

Aberdeen 30-06-1986
Braemer 01-07-1986 (57 Miles) Including a chain breakage en route...I remember it well.
Perth 02-07-1986
Edinburgh 03/07/1986 (40 miles)
Kirk Yetholm 04/07/1986
Newcastle 05/07/1986
Osmotherly 06/07/1986
Then York........Sadly the train home after this.(200 miles short):biggrin:

350 miles in one week...never beaten.:smile:

toroddf

Thank you for that link, Kirstie. I am on Lewis and planning to be at Butt Of Lewis on Monday night. If there is hard wind up there, I think I will forget the tent and rather use the Galson Farm Bunkhouse in Ness.
I am leaving on Friday morning btw and will report back sometimes in two weeks time.

21 stones heavy. Light racing bike. 600 miles/19 000 feet climbs in ten days.
Happy days.

toroddf

Echolalia said:
Thanks for the info Toroddf, great to have someone on the inside with all the secrets.

I hope that was sarcasm....... :biggrin: ;)

The more I know, the less I know. Hence, I hang around this forum to soak up wisdom.

Danny

Legendary Member
aramok said:
However, the roads are great (a lot of the A roads are single track with passing places once you get to Sutherland) and really worthwhile.
How busy are the A roads during August? I am thinking particularly of the A386, A838, and A897?

Inspired by this threat, and Kirstie's earlier account of cycling in Sutherland, I am hoping to fit in a 5 day tour sometime in mid August, but don't necessarily want to get stuck in bumper to bumper holiday traffic (if such a thing ever exists in Sutherland).

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks again for all the advice on this thread. Tomorrow I head for Glasgow and Ardrossan by train, turn left at Brodick and cycle round to Lochranza, follow the Sustrans route 78 to Oban, via Taynuilt to stay with friends. On to Oban to Barra by ferry, then island hopping to end up at Stornaway for the ferry back to the mainland. After that will be determined by how long I am on the islands

My plans are very relaxed, as the islands are smaller than I had imagined (talk about ignorant) I hope to explore as much as possible rather than just cycle through.

Two last questions. During my planning I've realised how reliant I've become on Google to search out information, not just for this trip but its become an almost instant reaction to finding something. I shall be taking my iPhone but wonder if it's worth taking my Asus Eee for surfing with a bigger and easier screen? The iPhone is fine for a quick bit of info but can be a pain for anything more. Weight is not an issue as I shall be travelling very light.

Lastly I shall be using B&Bs but at the last minute I'm thinking hostels and bunk houses look good as well. Do these provide bed linen, nothing mentioned on the web sites I looked at last night?

Danny said:
How busy are the A roads during August? I am thinking particularly of the A386, A838, and A897?
I've never cycled those road but generally I find some A roads in Scotland are quieter than some B roads. My general rule is if they are coloured a primary A road they can be busy. Only parts of the A836 ? are but given its location I doubt it will be busy.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
Is there a hill between Brodrick and Lochranza on route 78, the only hill of note I can remember on the Island is between Blackwaterfoot and Brodick :biggrin:

HLaB, you are noted for your poor memory :becool:

Top Bottom