Touring / sleeping in B&B's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
willem said:
I for one love the cosiness of a warm sleeping bag (what's the difference with a duvet?) on my thick Exped Downmat in my little tent. And I much prefer the tranquility of a meal cooked in front of my tent, with a nice view of nature. For me touring is about being outdoors as much as I can. I spend enough nights in business hotels - no thank you.
With quality gear there is no hardship involved at all. What often surprises me about discussions on this forum is that people moan if a tent costs more than 150 pounds, and yet will easily suggest B&B tours. Good camping gear is an investment that you earn back very quickly, even if a particular hostel turns out cheaper than in my example.
Willem

Yes all right, we've got that, but some people like B&B's and don't like camping but that doesn't reaslly answer the OP's question.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Thanks for the replies chaps. Looks like most places will make provisions and try to help tourers out so thats a great relief. I would probably try to plan the route and accomodation stops so its not too stressful after a days riding. I looked at the YHA stuff and it does look interesting, and many people Ive spoke to have had some good fun at them so I might give one a try sometime when Ive not riden all day just to see what they are like.

willem said:
Why would you not camp? 15 nights of 50 pounds in a B&B equals 750 pounds, and that is enough to buy some really good camping gear that you can then use for a decade.
For example, with approximate prices :
tent: 400 pounds e.g. Helsport Ringstind, Hilleberg Akto, TN Laser, MSR Hubba HP
sleeping bag: 200 pounds e.g. PHD Design
mattress, 50 pounds Exped Synmat Basic
Stove etc, 100 pounds Trangia 27 UL HA
Camping is just so much more fun than a horrible B&B
Willem

Camping might be tricky. I have a bad back which flares up badly occasionally. Id love to be able to do it though without being in agony so Im planning on camping for two nights Wednesday & Thursday (£6 for 2 nights on Haven site:biggrin:) to test the water and see if I can manage it. But... I did some damage to the back on Saturday which might mean Ill have to cancel :sad:

Tent is something similar to this
Sleeping bag is one of these (matching one for the mrs so we can zip up xx(
Im going to use an airbed but does anyone know of anything that might be better for someone with a bad back?
Stove is similar to this

I would love to go down the tent touring route as its more independant but like I say, I have concerns about my ability to do it :sad:

Once Ive worked out what acomodation type Im going to use Im going to have a try at the coast to coast over 4ish days to see if I can do prolonged time on the bike. If I feel ready Ill plan a tour and probably be aiming for 40 - 50 miles a day, over 2 weeks, factoring in one or two rest days @ 5 - 10 miles (or none) unsupported.

Another question, how do you keep your gadgets charged when touring?

stephenjubb

Über Member
are these comparisons accurate? If you are car camping ignore what is said below

that tent says it is 10.2kg
sleeping bag 1.3kg
stove is 1.8k with gas

no disrespect intended but if you tour with that lot you are doing everything wrong. You can get a lot lighter tents for 60 pounds that will weigh 2-4 kilos.

You can sleeping bags for around 20 pounds and weigh 700g

http://www.gelert.com/Products/Pioneer_700_Sleeping_Bag.aspx

you'll need to adjust the selection based on when you are camping

as for the cooker that is way too heavy, 87g priced at 12.95

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gelert-Intens...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item4397a6a354

you don't need to spend a fortune for less weighted kit.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

stephenjubb said:
are these comparisons accurate? If you are car camping ignore what is said below

that tent says it is 10.2kg
sleeping bag 1.3kg
stove is 1.8k with gas

no disrespect intended but if you tour with that lot you are doing everything wrong. You can get a lot lighter tents for 60 pounds that will weigh 2-4 kilos.

You can sleeping bags for around 20 pounds and weigh 700g

http://www.gelert.com/Products/Pioneer_700_Sleeping_Bag.aspx

you'll need to adjust the selection based on when you are camping

as for the cooker that is way too heavy, 87g priced at 12.95

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gelert-Intens...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item4397a6a354

you don't need to spend a fortune for less weighted kit.

Sorry, yes, car camping.
The tent is my sisters so Im borrowing it.
Sleeping bag was on offer for £15 so thought Id buy that for car camping and if it worked out ok Id buy a decent lightweight one.
Stove was on offer at B&M for £8, again Id go more basic if I was bike touring but just bought this for this weeks jaunt.

I have a panier rack that mounts to the seat post and is rated at 8kg, so Im going to pop to my LBS if this camping trip is sucessful and buy a "proper" rack that can hold more weight and acomodate disc brakes.

I have read at least a couple of dozen threads on here about what do you do with your bike when camping or bed and breakfasting - I have also read at least tens of dozens Crazy Guy on a Bike journals of people cycle touring using B & Bs or camping and have only read of one instance of a bicycle being stolen

It seems to me that whilst my bike is my most valued possession while on tour that to the rest of the world it is really of no interest (heritics or what) - assuming the bike is locked with something substantial to something substantial or better is inside somewhere the chance of it being stolen is very small

The question then becomes what suits you best - Myself I have always camped - I like my own space - I like camping and the flexibility it gives me to go where I wish without having to plan ahead - if you are well equipped (and the comments on the cost of getting equipped versus accomadation voiced above are very sound) then you can be as comfortable as in any fixed accomadation.

However, if you read enough threads on here and CGOB you realise peoples expectations are all different - if camping is something you are going to endure "just to get the job done" then it is not for you - myself staying in B & Bs (and it is something I often have to do because of my work) is something I have to endure and for me is a trial - so for a holiday I do not - you have to decide what you will enjoy most

As an aside a bad back on a bicycle is no fun at all - my back occasionally goes dodgy - luckily on tour it has only happened to me the once when I was literally on my way home on the last day - it sounds to me that in the first instance you would be best touring lightly with a good plan B

willem

Über Member
My back also troubles me from time to time. However, a good camping mattress is no worse than a bed in a B&B etc. I find insulated air mattresses such as the Exped Downmat very comfortable. Mine is 7 cm and is fine. The 9 cm Downmat or Synmat are probably better if your back is indeed very bad.
On the point of bad backs, I think you would do well to fit wide flexible tyres. Use the Schwalbe Big Apple if they fit your frame. I have just ordered a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST suspension seatpost for my offroad tour in Norway. They say it is the best - I will report once I have used it.
Willem

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

willem said:
My back also troubles me from time to time. However, a good camping mattress is no worse than a bed in a B&B etc. I find insulated air mattresses such as the Exped Downmat very comfortable. Mine is 7 cm and is fine. The 9 cm Downmat or Synmat are probably better if your back is indeed very bad.
On the point of bad backs, I think you would do well to fit wide flexible tyres. Use the Schwalbe Big Apple if they fit your frame. I have just ordered a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST suspension seatpost for my offroad tour in Norway. They say it is the best - I will report once I have used it.
Willem

Thanks, the air matress that you mentioned looks really good. Im just going to be using a cheap one this week, but Ill definatly take the sugestion on board.

I have Schwalbe M+'s fitted at the moment (700x35) and have the pressure between 60 and 80 depending on the road conditions. I have found them to be very unforgiving on my back so Ive been thinking of buying a brooks sprung saddle to soak up some impact (probably this one).

There is a possiblity of me going n+1, getting a specific touring bike as I currently have a Hybrid with front sus, in order to load the bike up with more gear. I really like the look & price of the Kona Sutra 2009 but I recall seeing some criticisms of the pannier mountings at the back and the location of the disc brakes. Probably best for the time being to save money, use the bike that I have and see if its something I enjoy.

mike.pembo said:
Probably best for the time being to save money, use the bike that I have and see if its something I enjoy.

Yup - thats the way to go - but do not just do a tour at random - pick somewhere that you want to go to - my touring is not really about the cycling or camping at all - but is about visiting places that I want to see or do things that I will enjoy

willem

Über Member
Marathon Plus tyres are dreadfully stiff and uncomfortable. My suggestion would be to go for a wider ordinary Marathon. The ordinary Marathon is significantly more flexible (and still sufficiently puncture proof in nearly all circumstances). As a result it is both faster and more comfortable. Move up to something wider and you will experience an even bigger difference. There are also lighter and faster tyres than this, such as the 40 mm Marathon Racer or the 40 mm Vittoria Hyper Randonneur. They are more fragile, however. Most hybrids will take 42 mm, and the extra width makes an enormous difference. If and when you decide to buy a new bike, make sure it has clearance for 50 mm tyres with mudguards. I have a sprung Brooks saddle, and I like it. For my upcoming offroad tour I have ordered the Thudbuster because it apparently is even better. I will use it with an unsprung Brooks saddle.
Willem

rich p

ridiculous old lush
psmiffy said:
Yup - thats the way to go - but do not just do a tour at random - pick somewhere that you want to go to - my touring is not really about the cycling or camping at all - but is about visiting places that I want to see or do things that I will enjoy

Important point.

Top Bottom