Touring Southern Spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesdown1986

Hi all
Im looking at planning a week long cycle next year preferably Airport to Airport, I'm really just looking for some information on where to get started route planning ect, via campsites and some points of interst.
Any information and help would be greatly received, Thank you.

If you like hills Alicante to Valencia is nice, I went on a cycle holiday there back in 2009.

sight-pin

Veteran
Depends on what Airports and how far you intend to cycle.
The ramblas can be good fun to ride (off road,), and plenty of climbs that come off them.
One of the scenic places that i can think of is the views from the old town of Mojacar (steep climb) and then onto Carboneras,...about a two hour by car drive down from Alicante in Almeria, You could then cycle right down into Malaga, Marbella, and onto Gibraltar if you have the time.

OP
OP
jamesdown1986

jamesdown1986

Depends on what Airports and how far you intend to cycle.
The ramblas can be good fun to ride (off road,), and plenty of climbs that come off them.
One of the scenic places that i can think of is the views from the old town of Mojacar (steep climb) and then onto Carboneras,...about a two hour by car drive down from Alicante in Almeria, You could then cycle right down into Malaga, Marbella, and onto Gibraltar if you have the time.
hi sight-pin we are looking at doing about 50/60 miles a day

polyksena

Regular
Hi James, me and my partner cycled in South Spain last summer along the coast (starting from Sevilla, then to Cadiz and then all the way to Valencia). After we returned we put on a free electronic handbook 'Mediterranean Spain by Bicycle' describing routes, tips, accommodation, sightseeing, etc. You can download it for free from Google Play - hope you will find a lot of your questions answered there. If you have any specific questions will be happy to help :smile:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
1) You need not start riding from the airport because the buses take bikes and you can go almost anywhere in Spain by bus.
2) forget camping. Campsites are rare in Spain: not many people do it. The weather is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter, so campsites tend to cater for caravans and campervans, which offer escape and shelter from heat and cold. Hotels in the south are about €40 for a room that takes two people.
3) go for a menu del dia for €10 at lunch and buy a salad from a supermarket and bread, and eat that in the hotel room in the evening. Restaurants are shut until 9pm and you'll want to be asleep by then so you can get an early start before the heat of the day.
4) plan it on Google maps and email hotels one or two days before you turn up.
5) be careful - some large towns have no hotels of any kind. You can find yourself with a 30k unexpected ride at the end of the day to a hotel.

MarkF

Guru
1) You need not start riding from the airport because the buses take bikes and you can go almost anywhere in Spain by bus.
2) forget camping. Campsites are rare in Spain: not many people do it. The weather is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter, so campsites tend to cater for caravans and campervans, which offer escape and shelter from heat and cold. Hotels in the south are about €40 for a room that takes two people.
3) go for a menu del dia for €10 at lunch and buy a salad from a supermarket and bread, and eat that in the hotel room in the evening. Restaurants are shut until 9pm and you'll want to be asleep by then so you can get an early start before the heat of the day.
4) plan it on Google maps and email hotels one or two days before you turn up.
5) be careful - some large towns have no hotels of any kind. You can find yourself with a 30k unexpected ride at the end of the day to a hotel.

Good stuff, agree about buses, people say they don't take bikes, some company websites too, but in real life, they do. I can't agree with 5 though, in many Spanish tours (north, south, across) I've never not found a room (I know you said hotel) and I've never booked ahead. They might not be immediately obvious but even small villages have rooms, might be above bars or in homes, but it'd be highly unusual not to get a bed, outside of feria time anyway. I'd pay 25 euros tops, for 40 euros I'd want a 3* hotel with a buffet breakfast, then feast and snaffle enough food for the day making it just as economical.

A week is not long and it depends what you like, Extremadura is nothing like Catalonia.

Madrid - Bilbao (Santander) is a good trip and a loop around Catalonia inc Girona and the coast via BCN would also be good

Top Bottom